Do you use proper grammar on IM's?

I absolutely hate IM'ers who are too lazy to type out 'you', or 'before' ('u', 'b4'). I think it's just a sign of ignorance and stupidity. I don't care if you're in a hurry or not, nobody has an excuse to rape the English language so bad. It's just not right. I generally ignore people who ask me like "can u help me??!". It's ust a sign that tells me, This person is stupid, ignore him.

Now, on IRC, I do use leet and abbreviations as sarcasm. I mean, if someone did something stupid, in the channels I talk in, it's perfectly okay to say "j00 got pwn3d". Because we mean it as sarcasm and we don't actually talk like that. Most of you oldies know that I'm a big debator. Well, I usually only get into debates with people who can spell and write correctly, because if they don't, I highly doubt tht person is intelligent and is worth my time debating with. That's just the way I feel about it, and probably always will.

rakedog said:
I absolutely hate IM'ers who are too lazy to type out 'you', or 'before' ('u', 'b4'). I think it's just a sign of ignorance and stupidity. I don't care if you're in a hurry or not, nobody has an excuse to rape the English language so bad. It's just not right. I generally ignore people who ask me like "can u help me??!". It's ust a sign that tells me, This person is stupid, ignore him.

Now, on IRC, I do use leet and abbreviations as sarcasm. I mean, if someone did something stupid, in the channels I talk in, it's perfectly okay to say "j00 got pwn3d". Because we mean it as sarcasm and we don't actually talk like that. Most of you oldies know that I'm a big debator. Well, I usually only get into debates with people who can spell and write correctly, because if they don't, I highly doubt tht person is intelligent and is worth my time debating with. That's just the way I feel about it, and probably always will.
I agree, somewhat. When I was younger, I always used to talk to friends and the MSN or whatever other instant messenger it was the conversation always consisted of:
me: hi
other person: hi
me: sup
other person: nm u
me: same
other person: o
me: lol
other person: haha
me: g2g
other person: ttyl
me: cya lol
other person: bfn lol
And there are a lot of adults that chat like that too. It does kind of bring the sense out of using the messenger to talk in the first place, but saying "lol" or something once in a while in my opinion is okay... especially if you can't type very fast a lot of people just use shortcuts and internet slang like that.

It does make you look less intelligent, but the person that is talking like that could actually be a pretty intelligent person that just likes to talk like that.

So there's many different ways to look at it, just like there are many ways to look at everything.

I do it sometimes when i'm lazy and don't feel like typing out the full word. Like sometimes i'll use brb instead of typing be right back, sometimes i'll type be right back just got to be my mood and lazyness factor. :cool:

Well there is certain slang like "lol", "rofl", "sup", that is so accepted nowadays, that I don't mind it. I don't mind using it. Just because it's pracrtical. But my point for real hardcore AIM talk remains the same (3 posts up).

I normally use proper grammar on Instant Messengers, but tend to slack up when talking to people who don't.

But I do agree with rakedog.

I dislike it when people take it too far...for example:

Example Conversation:

"
person a: hi
person b: sup m8
person a: nm ty u
person b: kool
person a: wrud
person b: nm
person a: 0
person b: afk, ttyl
person a: k, bi
"

Now that's more common but still uninterpretable to some.

:)

hextcomm said:
I normally use proper grammar on Instant Messengers, but tend to slack up when talking to people who don't.

But I do agree with rakedog.

I dislike it when people take it too far...for example:

Example Conversation:

"
person a: hi
person b: sup m8
person a: nm ty u
person b: kool
person a: wrud
person b: nm
person a: 0
person b: afk, ttyl
person a: k, bi
"

Now that's more common but still uninterpretable to some.

:)
That is extremely common amongst younger people today. :(

soz but what does afk mean? i got the rest of it above. i know afaik is "as far as i know" is it kind of like that?

Back
Top Bottom