Upgrading?

get rid of norton right now!!!!! its the biggest system resource hogger ever. many will back me up on this. graphics cards just slot in a free slot inside your pc (either an agp, pci, etc.. slot), easy to fit and install. i cant really recommend any though :(

get rid of norton anit virus!!! sigh, i still have a couple of months until it expires, may aswell ride it out, or is it that bad lol? what anti virus programs are u running on? Thanks again.

ok i've found a stick of ram that looks a good deal, it says it needs pc 2700, pc 2100, pc 1600. not entirely sure what this means so if someone could tell me if my comp is likely to be compatible that would be good.

yeah, that would work with your computer. make sure that when you look for a videocard it says PCI. agp/pci-e will not work with that computer. and videocards/ram are very easy to install. plug it in, screw down the videocard, and you're set.

kchi55 said:
yeah, that would work with your computer. make sure that when you look for a videocard it says PCI. agp/pci-e will not work with that computer. and videocards/ram are very easy to install. plug it in, screw down the videocard, and you're set.

don't forget the drivers for the vid card :p
They will be provided with the cd that comes in the package, but I suggest that u download the new and updated drivers from the manufacturers website.

jeo14888 said:
ok i've found a stick of ram that looks a good deal, it says it needs pc 2700, pc 2100, pc 1600. not entirely sure what this means so if someone could tell me if my comp is likely to be compatible that would be good.

the "pc 2700, pc 2100, pc 1600" are the speeds of the RAM you need the same speed ram as what you have now e.g pc3200 with pc3200 or pc2700 with pc2700,to find out what u have,you need to take out u r ram and have a look at the labe and it will tell you something like pc3200,u need to get RAM that has the same speed ,so i f your RAM was PC2700 u would buy pc2700 RAM.And a good graphics card is would be This one,this one ,Basically you need one that is PCI and a good brand like,Nvidia or ATI then u need one with a good memory,at the moment im guessing u r using 64mb,for gaming a 256 Mb graphics card would be good.Also you can upgrade yuor processor to get more speed out of your computer.

neodude112320 said:
the "pc 2700, pc 2100, pc 1600" are the speeds of the RAM you need the same speed ram as what you have now e.g pc3200 with pc3200 or pc2700 with pc2700,to find out what u have,you need to take out u r ram and have a look at the labe and it will tell you something like pc3200,u need to get RAM that has the same speed ,so i f your RAM was PC2700 u would buy pc2700 RAM.And a good graphics card is would be This one,this one ,Basically you need one that is PCI and a good brand like,Nvidia or ATI then u need one with a good memory,at the moment im guessing u r using 64mb,for gaming a 256 Mb graphics card would be good.Also you can upgrade yuor processor to get more speed out of your computer.

-The Ati x800 pro is pci-e, so it will not work because he doesn't have a pci-e slot.
-Ram doesn't need to be the same speed, pc 3200 ram should work fine with pc 2700 ram, only that both of the ram sticks would run at the speed of the slower stick, so pc 2700 in this situation.
-U can also use some software (like cpu-z) to find out the ram speed.

jeo14888 said:
Thanks guys. most of the un-needed things arent running, and i am using norton anti virus. I think i will go for a new graphics card and more ram then, can anyone suggest a suitable new card, and are they easy/hard to install?
If I were you, I would choose either AVG or Avast or something for antivirus as it is less resource-hogging then Norton.

Plus, its free so you don't have to worry about virus definition subscriptions.

Back
Top Bottom