2 questions about getting linux

redhat is one of the best user friendly os, they also sell a redhat for dummies with the most current os. overall I say gentoo, but it is hard as hell to install, it took me at least 4 or 5 times to get it right. good luck

If you want to learn linux, go with Gentoo. If you want to learn linux, go with ubuntu, kubuntu, fedora, some shit like that.

rakedog said:
If you want to learn linux, go with Gentoo. If you want to learn linux, go with ubuntu, kubuntu, fedora, some shit like that.

Is it just me, or does that make no sence??? Lol!

Lhuser

Sorry to be a Grammar Nazi. Little MORE better? You can't say ANYTHING is better, it's preference.

If simplicity is what you're looking for maybe Ubuntu suits your needs

If you want complete control & customability, as an advanced user might. Gentoo might suit your needs better.

Now I don't mean to go off on a rant here but...

If you're searching for simplicity Linux is the wrong road for you pal. As it does (to some degree) require a functional brain, patience, and willingness to learn. It's not your next next next play counter strike operating system.

People shouldn't be discouraged when something is difficult. Often if you take the hard road, you're better prepared. You only get bragging rights if you beat something on the hardest level...

Why are so many people switching to Linux, what is everyone's REAL motivation? Most people are perfectly content w/ their Windows, why the change?

SUSE 10.0/10.1 (can be downloaded)
and WINE but ive tryed WINE and i couldnt get it to work (not reccomened for linux noobz)

If you want a good, easy and basic version of linux, go with Ubuntu. I use it now and then and it's easy, I like it because it's a new learning curve and because it uses resources lightly. I thought it was hard because I was used to things being like windows but after I realized it wasn't, it was very easy. You can download the ISO to a CD or DVD and just use the "LiveCD" function to try it out before you install. The LiveCD lets you use it but all the stuff is stored in your RAM so nothing ever gets modified on the HDD, that's how I tried it and I really liked it so I installed it but I have to install it again at some point because I got a new HDD.
Here's the Ubuntu homepage: http://www.ubuntu.com/
Here's a place to download it on the Ubuntu site: http://www.ubuntu.com/download

I've also heard that Fedora is a good distro but I've never tried it so I wouldn't know. I have an installation DVD of it that I made but never installed it, I might do that at some point on an old 10GB HDD I have lying around.

Hope that helps,
Troy

OK, for the distro, I think you're best with a Debian-based one, because of the wonderful .deb package system, and unmatched stability. For playing WinDOS games on Linux you need Cedega or I think there is a version of Wine with DirectX support but standard wine doesn't so it WON'T work with any 3D games, should work with solitaire though ;-), lol.

Or you can have the best of both worlds if you already have windows. Install any type of linux on another partition on your HD. This way you can learn how to use it without the fear of losing everything on your computer. Dual boot can be your best friend. No matter what you'll love linux once you get over the hard to use hype.

Back
Top Bottom