First build - nothing shows up onscreen

adm881

Beta member
Hey, this is the first time I've *tried* to put together a computer. I'm pretty sure I have everything in the right place, so what's wrong? It powers on, the CPU fan is working, the videocard's fan is working (good signs?), and the CD drives open and close, but nothing shows shows up on screen. Is anything broken? How can I find out? System specs are below, any help would be greatly appreciated.

250GB SATA Seagate HDD
MSI K9N SLI PLATINUM N570SLI AM2 Mobo
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Orleans AM2
eVGA Geforce 7900GT CO 256MB Videocard
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Case
ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W Power Supply

Well, the first thing I'd do is double check everything, make sure you have all the connectors in the correct spots, make sure everything has a power connector and a data cable connected and just go through everything and take your time to check it. Make sure the ram is seated properly, make sure all the cards are seated properly also. Unless your video card is bad you should get something on screen. Maybe if you have a different video card around that works you could try that.

Make sure the power cord is plugged in all the way to your 7900gt and also make sure it is seated correctly in the slot. Also try unplugging the power cords that connect to the motherboard and turn on your computer, then turn it off replug everything and turn it back on. This has worked for me a few times. Hope that works for you.

All of my connections are good. Videocard is seated properly, and it's getting 28 amps. The videocard's fan is working though, does that matter, or could it still be bad?

That doesnt really mean anything, because the fan is something totally different from the card itself..I think your best bet is trying another video card, maybe go buy one from the store, and then return it? Or grab a real old one, out of your other computer, or ask a friend..

Back
Top Bottom