Is 512MB RAM enough for video chat?

472kb dwnload speed
184kb upload speed.
not too bad for a 512k connection (crappy mums internet)

i tried skype...got audio to work, but couldn't get video chat to work...got frustrated and uninstalled it.

just fiddle around in the settings. my webcam worked fine on skype first time (once i installed the drivers for my cam).

really don't want to try skype again, i just want my messenger to work good. here's some additional troubleshooting info that may help:

During a webcam chat my status showed the following:
"You are directly connected to .NET Messenger Services" , but below that, it said:
"You are connected to the internet through a non-UPnP IP restricted NAT. (Administrator)".
Is this correct, or do I need to change something?

I just got a response back from microsoft and they said the minimum system requirement for the connection should be 56Kbps upload speed......mine is at 46.6kbps so maybe that's why it's not as good as it could be.

1. Is there anyway to increase my upload speed?

2. If my audio is fine to the person I am webcaming with, but their audio seems choppy to me, wouldn't their upload speed be the problem? Or even my download speed?

thebigdintx said:
I just got a response back from microsoft and they said the minimum system requirement for the connection should be 56Kbps upload speed......mine is at 46.6kbps so maybe that's why it's not as good as it could be.

1. Is there anyway to increase my upload speed?

2. If my audio is fine to the person I am webcaming with, but their audio seems choppy to me, wouldn't their upload speed be the problem? Or even my download speed?
1. No, I don't think so.

2. Yeah, it could be a problem with connections on either end.

when we're talking download and upload speeds,,,,which numbers do i use if my results are:
download speed: 1508 kbps (188.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
upload speed: 373 kbps (46.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

for example, do i say my upload speed is 373 or 46.6 according to the above results?

Well technically if a file was 100 kb it would take about 2 seconds to upload, it goes by the transfer rate for transferring.

Back
Top Bottom