optimal sata setup

dzjunction

Solid State Member
Hi all,

quick question.

i have an asus p4pe mobo. 1 samsung sata II drive, and one regular IDE drive....
the mobo supports only sata I speeds....

i was wondering which is the most optimal setup, having the sata drive as boot drive or the IDE as boot drive?

im not sure i totally understand the 150GB/s and 300Gb/s rating.... is that referring to the speed which the CPU is communicating with the drives, implying that since i use the boot drive more often, having sata drive as boot is better?

thanks

also,

i am looking into sata II cards, and was wondering about the best sata II cards for my needs.

i guess all i really need is something that gives me the fastest/ best performance for 1 sata II drive on my asus p4pe mobo, the 3GB/s....

will anyone of these standard $50 cards do? what should i be looking for?

thanks!

The sata is faster than the IDE, whether it's at 1.5 or 3.0

And the sata 1.5 will work on your mobo, shouldn't need a card

Check to make sure you don't just have to "enable" it. My mobo supports II but I'm only using I, since I just havent taken the time to enable it. Why are you wanting to run II so bad? You won't see much of a difference if any

yeah, the mobo def doesn't support sata II....

under what circumstances would a sata II be used to its full potential? or does double data transfer rate amount to nothing in the end?

dzjunction said:
yeah, but my mobo only supports sata i, and i wanted to run sata II.....
yea it will. Im on P4P800-VM that runs SATAI, and I have a SATAII drive runing. All it does is runs at SATAI from SATAII

I highly extermely totally doubt you will see a difference. I don't... None what so ever.

"yea it will. Im on P4P800-VM that runs SATAI, and I have a SATAII drive runing. All it does is runs at SATAI from SATAII"

i meant run it at its full data transfer rate

what good is 3GB/s then? id really like to know what is the point

Back
Top Bottom