Installing XP SP1

ncfcanna

Solid State Member
I've had my computer for ages and I'm upgrading my mobo, CPU, RAM, DVD-drive & hd. & I have a new graphics card on my computer from when I activated windows.

I basically want to know what will happen when I try an install my Windows XP SP1. Obviously I'll format the hard drive that I'm using now so there's nothing on it. I've been doing some searching, and it's a bit unclear on what will happen.

So can you help me out please?

im pretty sure now that you are getting a new mobo and hdd, you will have to get a new product key. as the old one wont work.

Well is it just like a recovery disc or something that u got with a prebuilt computer or is it just a Win XP disc that u have bought separately?
If it's a separate disc then there shouldn't be any problems with installing Windows.

mammikoura said:
Well is it just like a recovery disc or something that u got with a prebuilt computer or is it just a Win XP disc that u have bought separately?
If it's a separate disc then there shouldn't be any problems with installing Windows.

My cousin built my current computer, so we had to buy a CD Rom disk with Windows XP on.

So I should be okay using that disk then?

ncfcanna said:
My cousin built my current computer, so we had to buy a CD Rom disk with Windows XP on.

So I should be okay using that disk then?

Yes you will be okay using the disc

And Service pack 2 is the latest, so install SP2, not SP1.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Yes you will be okay using the disc

And Service pack 2 is the latest, so install SP2, not SP1.

My disk is SP1. I will download the update for SP2 though once I am up & running.

if youve installed using the xp cd on one comp before, im sure you cant activate it on another pc.

dude1234 said:
if youve installed using the xp cd on one comp before, im sure you cant activate it on another pc.
yes u can. There is nothing that will prevent u from using ur windows cd when reinstalling windows because of hardware changes. And if something does come up (like u can't activate it) then call microsoft's support and they should give u a new key.

hmm ok. i thought if you had major changes like a new mobo you deffo had to get a new key (off microsoft, maybe through the phone)

omg, why the hell would you need a new key? your using it on the same comp so its not illegal. and i activated a copy on many (of my) pcs before and it works fine.

Back
Top Bottom