All you stereo/sound guys..

MarxSoccer

BSOD
Getting my 1993 Chevrolet Lumina soon. It's only got a tape player so I'm going to need to get a new head unit, which will probably replace the tape player seens how thats the only area it can fit.. I can find that pretty much on my own even though I'll probably discuss it within this thread. Thing is, I don't know how hard it is going to be to wire it up? And the answer to that all depends on if I can use the stock speakers or If I'll need new ones, which I don't really want to do but if it needs to be done..

I'll try to post some pics of how the interior of it looks, you guys can do so too if you want, just google 1993 lumina (obviously)

Here's some pics. Remember this isn't the exact car, but it's 99% the same in most pics. I think these are all between 1990-1993 but the car didn't change much at all between those 4 years..

497954_33_full.jpg

17534_4_full.jpg

314011_7_full.jpg

Wiring it up is a breeze. Go to Walmart and find the wire kit for your car, they're usually only 7 or 8 dollars. It plugs right into your factory wiring, and has pigtails on the other end. The colors will match right up to your new unit, so just use some butt connectors and slide the new head unit in. Piece of cake!

Also, make sure that when you get that plug, it comes with the antenna adaptor. If it doesn't, you will need that as well so your FM works.

But would this mean tearing apart everything to get to the wiring? Or are the wires that go to the tape player the same that connect to the head unit?

Take out the old stereo, and the wires will be right there. As long as the previous owner didn't butcher things up, it will basically be plug and play. Just unplug the current stereo's wires and plug in your new adaptor after you wire it to your new stereo's wires.

Yes. Provided the previous owner didn't cut your car's factory wiring. There should be a plug you'll disconnect, then reconnect the new plug you buy from like Walmart. When you get your new stereo, it will have some details in the book. When you buy the new plug, it should also have instructions on the package. It's really easy once you see what fits where.

Back
Top Bottom