FTP Server

I'm wanting to create my own Vbulletin forum, but I don't know where I can get a free FTP server. I also am not going to download a FTP server program. I can't host it myself because I'm not online constantly or have my computer on for people to access the website. What can I do?

Well, you dont just need a FTP serVER, you need the whole thing. FTP, HTTP and a Mail Server. If you like talking, try talkhost.com (think thats what it is) and they give free hosting, providing you keep their forums active. Or, you could get a Cheap Host (http://need-space.com if good, if you go for them, if you could say joseph.redfern@gmail.com sent you, i would be v. greatfull. The one that costs £1.00 a month should do for a forum!!!) There are not TOO many Free hosts that support mySQL Stuff.

Free hosting is available from www.byethost.com I use them. You're better off with paid hosting though, some hosts are very cheap. You also need a license to run vBulletin which can be purchased from www.vbulletin.com for $180 or something.

If you don't use a valid paid license, jelsoft can track down your forum and legal action can be done. :(

Jordan Pardy said:
Free hosting is available from www.byethost.com I use them. You're better off with paid hosting though, some hosts are very cheap. You also need a license to run vBulletin which can be purchased from www.vbulletin.com for $180 or something.

If you don't use a valid paid license, jelsoft can track down your forum and legal action can be done. :(

Never heard of this... where have you seen this information. If this is the case then there are hundreds of people out there using this software without concent, and also the makers of "Fantastico" are in trouble too considering its on hundreds of servers out there and all have vbulletin. hmmmmm.... interesting.

Fantastico doesn't have vBulletin as an option; just SMF and phpBB. vBulletin, like Invision 2.0.x+ is commercial and you do need the license.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90059

Some information I gathered from a thread {above} on the vBulletin forum.

- What will happen if someone reports me?
If you have a valid license, then they should not contact you. Jelsoft will match up your license details against the report issued against you or your site and if they think there is no reason to contact you, they will not. However, if they think they should, they will ask you to quickly contact them to clear up a few things. If you don't have a valid license, they will contact you and offer you to cut a deal by which you would be required to either delete the vBulletin files and database or purchase a valid license. Running without a valid license is a crime, so if this is your case, you should feel lucky you aren't served court papers on the spot.

- Suspect a site of not having a license?
It is possible that you have reason to believe that a web site that has a forum powered by vBulletin has not paid for their license. You can report them on

http://www.vbulletin.com/piracy - as above, they will not respond to you personally, so please only report a suspect site once.

Back
Top Bottom