bad bios flash

badninja3

Daemon Poster
okay, well my pc isnt booting up now. like the bios isnt loading up. every now and then the monitor shows the splash screen... like every 20 boots. but other than that nothing is working. i tried clearing the cmos. i pressed the reset button like a million times. i tried powering off my pc completely, with it unplugged, then pressing the clearcmos button. i tried it with teh power connected, but with the pc off. nothing. then i tried it with my the power on. nothing. then i tried holding the button in every situation possible. i tried pressing it 20 tiems before starting up. i tried pressing it once. still, nothing.

i think my bios is broke. before i turned off my computer, i did a "msi live update" thing and upgraded my bios thru windows. it said it was all good, but when i tried rebooting my pc, it didnt turn on again.

any suggestions? i think i might have to rma my mobo. but im gonna be out of town for a week. i bought my stuff on the 5th. so i dont have much time.

Oh dear... that reminds me of what happened to my system, but a CMOS clear worked since it was only a temporary prodecdure.

What you've done on the other hand though is a permanent change :( Its accepted the new BIOS and replaced the old one it seems. Thats probably why CMOS clear isn't working, since its basically going back to the one that doesn't work.

To test it though, take out the BIOS battery this time, and leave it out for about 20 minutes or so (not sure exactly), and then place it back.

Thats all I can suggest :(

Other than that, I don't know how to replace a BIOS chip, though I know its possible, as most are removable.

What MSI board do you have?

I'd try getting a bootable flashing program and then put it on a floppy with some other bios version (u should find the bios and the program from msi's website) and then just insert the floppy and hopefully it will boot from it, then u can flash the bios on the floppy to the mobo and it should start working again.

Kage said:
To test it though, take out the BIOS battery this time, and leave it out for about 20 minutes or so (not sure exactly), and then place it back.
What MSI board do you have?
i tried that. i even left out the battery for an hour, just to make sure it had no power. and i dont have any other msi boards.

mammikoura said:
I'd try getting a bootable flashing program and then put it on a floppy with some other bios version (u should find the bios and the program from msi's website) and then just insert the floppy and hopefully it will boot from it, then u can flash the bios on the floppy to the mobo and it should start working again.
would that work? it can boot a floppy before booting the bios?

oo Man I rember when I flashed my Gigabyte bord.. It had one bios and you have to install a other BIOS to make a backup BIOS I tryed it and it didnt start up again.. :(

I believe with some boards (it depends), you can boot up using a floppy disc prior to anything else. Check your manual.

Kage said:
I believe with some boards (it depends), you can boot up using a floppy disc prior to anything else. Check your manual.
When I try going low on my memory timming. The computer restarts and I get a screen saying

"Please put in CDRom or Floopy to restore your BIOS"

But, You take the battery out and it resets it. but If I did flash it wrong I just restore it with my Asus CD :D

badninja3 said:
would that work? it can boot a floppy before booting the bios?

always worth a try. I'd imagine that it will work since normally the floppy is the 1st boot device, and there has to be some way to flash another bios if the current one isn't working.

Back
Top Bottom