Speed Query

Berne

In Runtime
Hi All,

Im new to computing, I wonder could anyone provide me with a list of servers and how they work in regard to upload speed and download speed, this should be provided with the caveat that the user has a 1mg BB cable connection.

Are servers like processors for example? Can they be bought privately? How much do they cost? Please advise on low medium and high power abilities for each.

Bottom line how long should it take for a 50mb file to upload to a low medium and high power server?

Appreciate any reply,

Berne :rolleyes:

the speed (in terms of processor speed and RAM shouldn't matter so much as the connection speed of the person trying to upload the file and the speed at which the server is connected to the internet.

You say the person has 1MB broadband, but most broadband commections are Asymetrical, meaning their upload speeds to servers is slower than the download speed from servers.

Everything relies on your connection speed and ethernet capability.

Let's use two examples.

Let's say I own a 5MB connection on a 100MBPS speed. It will never go the speed of your ethernet port (The 100 MBPS) and downloads might not go 5MBps. But, the downloads and uploads will be faster.

On the other hand, I am currently using a 100MBPS ethernet jack to a 10MBPS hub. The downloads and uploads are slower. (I usualy pull 1-3 with the 10 and 2-5 with the 100)

Hi All,

Bottom line here is Im trying to work out what speed I should expect at peak traffic times when uploading a 15mb folder to a backup server?

It took a full half hour, now that to me is awful...I am on a basic 1mg broadband connection and usually I get 128/kb/sec download speed which is great for my needs, I then read around the forums and learnt that I should get around half that speed 60 kb/sec on the upload side of things.

Just on the advice provided by Ihuser, what does something like 3mg BB connection cost in your country?

Berne... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom