CPU Fan Voltage?

Memphis`

In Runtime
Is there any way of increasing the speed of your cpu fan by increasing the voltage or anything else?
Ive just switched to a Blue Orb II and its really quiet, I dont mind abit of noise so i was thinking that if I could increase the speed, and create a little more noise, I could get a little better cooling.

could u post a link to the "Blue Ord II"? u could try a fan controller but most motherboards have some kind of temperature sensor which u can adjust in the bios, so for example it runs at 100% when u get to 40C or whichever temp u set it to

Well, what sort of temps do you get with it?

17 dba? That's mad - my case fans are like 30 dba!

i dont think your temps will get any better with that even if u did make the fan go faster, its a pretty decent heatsink though so i wouldnt worry about the temps at all

Well the only problem is its in such a small case, and also the added cfm would help cool the ram abit more as well.
Im getting around 38-40 idle, but it is pretty hot in here now, earlier i was on 35 when it was cooler. Not tried it under load yet, ill do that now and post up with the readings.

EDIT: Goes up to about 50*C under full load, which is quite high.

You'll find with alot of setups (like mine), what ever speed the CPU fans spinning at, the cooling will be about the same anyway.

My CPU when I told it to work hard's RPM was 5000 odd.
I turned to have quiet mode on, and the RPM's dropped down to a standard 1000-3000 odd. The cooling power stayed the same, and didn't change at all.

With most CPU heatsink/fans in that case, they tend to only fit a default speed.

Thats not to say it won't drop lower than that when its cooler, as most do, but does say that theres no need for it to go any higher than it does already, because the heatsink is obviously doing its job.

The only thing I could advise would be to get better cooling in your case itself, which may drop ambient temps a bit, and in turn, take heat away faster from the CPU socket.

Well i think it is my psu that generates most of the heat in the case as it doesnt have a fan underneath it, it just has one on the back of the case which doesnt exhaust much air at all.
Would you suggest going for a another psu like the Enermax Liberty series?

It probably doesn't need to exhaust that much air though because its not taking heat away from internal components from the PC as well, so doesn't need to be that powerful.

Getting a PSU with a fan to drag up heat would definietly help cooling though, if the rest of the fan setup was changed to accomodate the new air flow.

The easiest way is to imagine air coming through and going out. Air will take the route which is the fastest. So for example, if you put 2 fans next to each other, one bigger than the other, its more likely more of the hot air would pass through the bigger one, stealing the air from the smaller one.

Back
Top Bottom