copying CD content to DVD

jetmania

Solid State Member
hey,

i've recently purchased a DVD RW (will post specs when i get home :eek: ) and i've got the software ISO with it. i was wondering is it possible to back up my CD's onto DVDs, and if so how can I do that?

ISO is a pretty complicated software for me, and I was wondering whether there are any simpler softwares which can be of help to me?

hope this is clear, thanks in advance for any help :)

if you just have files on cds, then copy all the files to your hdd. then burn them to a dvd using a program like "nero"

Get Nero. Thats a great piece of software, and is VERY easy to use :)

With that, you'll be able to burn ISO's (images) of the CD's onto the hard drive, and then write these ISO's back to DVD (useful if your CD's have bootups, etc that can't just copy off)

If they are copy protected though, and aren't your own backup, this probably won't work anyway.

If its just standard backup, you may be able to just copy and paste the files over if you have two drives, or just copy to hard drive and then port over, like dude1234 says.

(Sorry, you must have been typing when I was :) )

dude1234 said:
if you just have files on cds, then copy all the files to your hdd. then burn them to a dvd using a program like "nero"
i want to make a backup copy of a game. is that at all possible. i havent got a cd rw, so i was wondering whether i can do this using a dvd rw?

Kage said:
Get Nero. Thats a great piece of software, and is VERY easy to use :)

With that, you'll be able to burn ISO's (images) of the CD's onto the hard drive, and then write these ISO's back to DVD (useful if your CD's have bootups, etc that can't just copy off)

If they are copy protected though, and aren't your own backup, this probably won't work anyway.

If its just standard backup, you may be able to just copy and paste the files over if you have two drives, or just copy to hard drive and then port over, like dude1234 says.

(Sorry, you must have been typing when I was :) )
so its not possible to directly copy the cd onto the dvd.

nero- i think ive got that somewhere!!!

thanks for your replies :)

oh games and stuff. still use nero like i said. it should allow you to directly copy the cd to a dvd as long as its not protected

dude1234 said:
oh games and stuff. still use nero like i said. it should allow you to directly copy the cd to a dvd as long as its not protected
erm... im abit ignorant of computers :eek: -protected?? :eek:

phew at least its possible to copy cd's onto dvds. i was feeling dumb after buying the dvd rw!

some newer games you buy are copy protected. meaning you cant copy them lol. theres software to get around this but i am not sure if it is 100% legal.

dude1234 said:
some newer games you buy are copy protected. meaning you cant copy them lol. theres software to get around this but i am not sure if it is 100% legal.
oh thanks :eek:

i'll give it a go with nero and see whether it works, ISO is just confusing! :eek:

Yeah, you might be able to use the ISO feature.

it'll copy the ISO onto the C drive or something, and then request you put the blank DVD in. It can then copy the ISO from the C drive, as a duplicate copy to the DVD drive.

We have no problems with making backup's for personal use, but if there is protection on the disc not allowing you to make an ISO, I'm afraid we can't help you over come it.

You will only be able to use the ISO duplicate feature though, since its likely the game has some boot up screens, etc that won't copy when just copying and pasting from one to the other, and other errors would occur too.

PRODEDURE:

So it should go like this:

Put the original CD in,
Run Nero, say to make a backup ISO.

It'll ask for the destination drive (the hard drive), and the Source drive (where the original cd is)

It'll then make the ISO hopefully where destined.

You then have to open Nero again, and click "Write ISO to disk" or something similar, this time swapping the original for the blank DVD.

The source will now be the ISO on the hard drive, and the destination drive will be the writable blank DVD.

It should then run through.

Back
Top Bottom