vista and xp boot options?

dude_se

Proper Legend
i had xp. i then installed vista on another partition. i now have a dual boot menu which all works fine. i want to edit the time it shows the list of os's and i also want to change the default one. i have tried the boot.ini in xp and it only lets me change the xp stuff. it also says i need to use bcedit.exe or something like that to edit vista options. i can find this file but when opened on either os it opens a cmd window which later closes after quickly displaying some writing. so how can i change the boot options? ... i also need to do this because the vista beta wont last forever so i will want to get rid of it soon and just have xp.

what you do is...click start > right click my computer > properties > advanced options > startup > and then you change the time before vista boots in there.

i cant find that option in vista but ill look again tomoz. in xp ive tried that and as i said, it only shows the xp side of things and tells me to use bcedit.exe for vista. any more ideas?

oh ok lol. what happens if i want to set xp to boot first by default?

downloaded it off microsofts website..... then got partition magic and created another partition. then just installed on the new partition. it then gave me an option on which os to boot.

I know its rather simple to do this in linux but with windows....
if vista is on a different HDD then you can go into BIOS and make the HDD that XP is on the first boot device...
but thats a rather crude solution as you will have to go into BIOS every time you want to boot into vista

Back
Top Bottom