How to clean CPU

Washington

In Runtime
Hi, I am thinking of getting a new heatsink and fan for my desktop and would like to know what I should use to clean the previous thermal paste/pad from the CPU.

Any suggestions and advice would be great.

Thanks

Hey, which heatsink/fan are you thinking of getting?

As for cleaning your CPU. You shouldn't need anything more than a cloth or something.
I wouldn't use anything that could build up static mind.

If you need to, there are special removers that'll get rid of the excess, but really, and almost 100% of the time, it should just wipe off easily, without leaving a trace.

I'm not sure which fan I'm getting yet, it's only a socket A CPU so it shouldn't take too much to cool it down. There's a nice coolermaster fan in a local store that looks nice. Got pretty lights and everything! lol

It may just be that the thermal pad has worn away and needs replacing, but I may as well put a bigger fan on there to make sure. It's been idleing at 50c - 55c and can go up to 66c under load on a hot day so something needs to be done. I've already taken the side casing off and the temperature increases by about 5c when I put the side back on. I've got two 80mm fans blowing the air out of the back.

Thanks for your quick reply. I'll just use a cloth and maybe a cotton bud?

Yeah, that should honestly be enough to get all of it off.

If its more worn in though, I suggest to use some kind of cleaner, but you have to use a special kind of course. It shouldn't be a problem though.

Woh... those temps are worse than mine, and I'm pretty sure my processor would get hotter than yours :eek:...

As for your case fans, by any chance are there any more spaces? Maybe at the front?

Its best to have one side bringing air in, and one side taking air out you see. Otherwise, air just circulates, and I think that is happening with you.

Getting a new fan/heatsink though will help a bit, but if that ambient temperature of the case isn't brought down also, heat will still slowly collect up.

EDIT:

If you do need more removal than a straight cloth and cotton bud, check out this thread which might help:

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=39453

I though could get all of it off (at least all non-microscopic parts) just using a cloth.

There's no more spaces for fans on the case. The side is mainly plexiglass, the front is taken up with the optical drives and power buttons and there is just the two spaces at the back for the fans. I guess it's an old case. I'm hoping that it's just the thermal pad that's causing the problem and when I replace it the temps come down. If not I'll look at getting a new case with better ventilation. Many thanks for your help.

No problem :)

If theres space in between the drives, you could place a 80mm fan there, but by the sounds of it, you have apsoloutely no space what so ever.

Its weird how some pexiglass sides don't come with fan mounts. I wish mine did.

I'm actually thinking of modding my case to support better cooling :p

I hope it brings temps down. If not though, try switching, and having the back fans blow cold air into the case. That might help also...

Back
Top Bottom