Major Hard Drive Problem

Miller1

Solid State Member
Computer ...
Compaq 5005 R
1.1GHz AMD Athlon
512mb RAM
Windows XP Pro
40.0 GB Quantam Fireball hard drive with about 10,000 hours of use.

Sunday night I was browsing the internet. A website tried to automatically download a wmf file ... I didn't click on a link to download something, so I figured it was a little fishy. When I clicked cancel, I noticed the hard drive really started accessing alot and free memory went to zero. Right after that, Free RAM XP tried to free up ram, causing the hard drive to keep accessing.

After I got the website closed and some free ram, I started suring again. I got a BSOD with system32. I restarted, and got another BSOD. Restarted again, another BSOD with another problem. All it does is blue screen.

What I have tried -
Repair windows - BSOD
Reinstall windows - BSOD
Booting to DOS - DOS will not see the c partition of the drive
Setting to slave and putting in another computer - Computer will not see drive

Sounds like your hard drive got fried.
What was the nature of the website you were looking at?

It was a grand theft auto message board.

Fried as in old age? It has definitely seen alot of usage.

it might have died.. might be time for a new one. they're relatively cheap though.

I have an ACOM Data enternal hard drive. I haven't opened it up, but would this have like a regular IDE hard drive in it that I could take out and stick this one in to see if anything works at all on it.

I think if I have to get another hard drive, it will be a small, slow hard drive.

Miller said:
I have an ACOM Data enternal hard drive. I haven't opened it up, but would this have like a regular IDE hard drive in it that I could take out and stick this one in to see if anything works at all on it.

I think if I have to get another hard drive, it will be a small, slow hard drive.
Yeah, external hard drives are just a regular ide hard drive in a usb enclosure, you could take it out and install it in your pc.

And by fried I mean, you downloaded a virus that fries hard drives, I'd reccomend not going to that website anymore.

I'm not a computer n00b, but they have viruses that can physically destroy hard drives?

If you have the right external HDD you can just set it as the bootable HDD...you have to set it up right...and you don't even have to take it out of the case.

yeah my friend's hdd died from a virus, i have yet to learn what he was doing to get that virus. lmao. can't be anything good.

Back
Top Bottom