Boot Error

X1337

Fully Optimized
ok, I just took my Ti 4200 to use my 9200LE. Now before windows boots it says:

Missing Boot.ini
C:\Windows

But this is the weird part. Windows boots up im on it right now. How do I fix this? its stupid like there is no boot.ini but it boots how is that possable :confused:

there is a way to fix boot.ini files properly with the xp cd. its not just a case of repairing the installation.. theres a quicker and easier way. but are you saying your disk doesnt work at all? you dont actually need to install anything

Okay, if it says its missing, try going here:

Right click My Computer, and go to Properties.
From here go to the Advanced tab,

Under Start Up & Recovery, click on Settings.

Then click on EDIT.

This should allow you to edit the boot.ini. If its missing it'll tell you its missing. If thats the case, you should be able to create one...

The reason its probably still booting up is because the BIOS knows what your main drive is anyway, but the boot.ini can specify which other drives to load up too.

It should be in C:\Windows I believe, but I can't seem to find it on mine...even though I definietly have one as I can access it and edit it :p

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

That should load your system up, if that was in place, and you only had 1 partition which was Windows.

@kage, its probs hidden, so you need to go into the folder options and click show hidden files and folders. you could also just search for "boot.ini"

I did, thats the weird thing... Its not there, but I have one...

I did find a "boot.ini.backup" file in Windows\pss.

I bet you mines running from that for some reason.

You should be able to create a boot.ini file though using notepad or something with this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

and it should load up without an error. Check my values though, as mines just an example with only one drive loading in the first partition.

Since theres no other things to load, there won't be a countdown. It should just find it without the error and continue on.

Like I said, its just for people like me I think that can't defy which drives to load up at bootup, as to load up a menu system instead.

Back
Top Bottom