Monitor Response Time...

venividivici1

Solid State Member
What's your monitor response time? Mine is bad, but I am thinking of getting a new monitor.

How noticeable is the performance, for instance, from going from a 20 ms to 4 ms response time?

Is it worth it, do you think? (Even if I don't play intensive games.)

Nik00117 said:
Is there a way to test it? I got my mointor for free and have no idea how fast it is.

Well i dont know a for sure way to test it, but if you get ghosting in games, its most likly over 12.

Mines 8, but with LCD monitors, the specified amount is only the pixels going from black to white, and back again, not about colours. Colours will take longer to change.

I don't think its that noticable past a certain point. I think 16 is enough for no ghosting while gaming, 12 to be safe.

20ms isn't too great for gaming, I would say 8ms is good enough. 4ms is overkill...your eyes will hardly notice the difference and if you really wanted fast response times, go with CRT. No LCD is faster than a good 'ol CRT with normal response times in the nanoseconds. :)

I don't personally like LCD's for gaming.

Since switching, I've basically been forced to use the highest resoloution of 1280x1024 or games look stretched.

My video card can't max out settings while at that resoloution, so its a waste.

I'd prefer to lower it to around 1024x768, and max out settings, but I can't comfortably now. I can tell the monitors stretching it.

alvino said:
20ms isn't too great for gaming, I would say 8ms is good enough. 4ms is overkill...your eyes will hardly notice the difference and if you really wanted fast response times, go with CRT. No LCD is faster than a good 'ol CRT with normal response times in the nanoseconds. :)

But even you diehard CRT users must succumb to the changes being implemented and switch to LCD. Example: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2860

LCD is catching up and surpassing CRT performance.

Distortion88 said:
But even you diehard CRT users must succumb to the changes being implemented and switch to LCD. Example: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2860

LCD is catching up and surpassing CRT performance.

Yeah, someday i'll have to get rid of my 19" CRT...

16ms is BARELY enough to notice ghosting. I enjoyed gaming on a monitor of 16ms for over a year. Lower is better of coarse. Personally, when I get a job, i'm gonna buy a 19" LCD with 8ms or lower. This CRT is nice.. but the heat, size, and being forced to use a different monitor at a lan party is annoying. I wanna take my monitor with :p

MikeReiner said:
This CRT is nice.. but the heat, size, and being forced to use a different monitor at a lan party is annoying. I wanna take my monitor with :p

I agree, CRT is perfectly fine in my books and i wouldnt mine using one....that is if didn't weigh 50lbs!!! You just can't be using a CRT monitor if you intend to move it around a lot because they are just so big and bulky. Attend LAN parties on a regular basis? Forget about it, CRTs will only do so much as break your back from all that hauling around.

CRT's are great for gaming. The HDR LCD tech will be expensive at first, so CRT's will still be popular for a few more years.

Back
Top Bottom