Lint-free

lol u don't need all that stuff. I just take most of the thermal paste away with a credit card and then finish the job with a T-shirt. With the heatsink I use water, or just spit on in (makes it nice and shiny :D) but with the cpu I don't use any liquid stuff.

Ok keep your advice coming... I am not truly going be home until tuesday anyways (at a friends house atm)

I'll need to do this tommorw or tuesday when I get my new CPU/fan.

I'l just touch the radiator though to earth me most likely, as thats another okay method I believe to get rid of built up static.

I'd then take off the old heatsink/fan by taking off the brackets and then turning while pulling.

You don't want to pull straight off, since the bond with the heatsink/cpu can be quite great, so twisting while pulling makes sure it slides off.

Then I'll probably get a tissue or something and wipe the processor. I wo't bother using any special liquids, etc, since the last time I took the heatsink off, it wiped off really easily, leaving no residue anyway.

BamaFan2989 said:
Do I really need to buy that Anti Static wristband? And is there anywhere else you can buy them?

EDIT: And how do you use them?
i never use 'em. I dont even know where mine is.

Just touch a radiator close to you thats earthed to the ground.

Most work though by plugging themselves into a plug socket which automatically earths you all the time.

I'll make sure to try the credit card trick as well. But having rubbing alchol with Q-Tips can be helpful.

BTW you don't want to use any oils or anything right? (Those don't really dry like rubbing alchol does.)

You have to understand how static works. Basically its a build up with electrons and when the circut is completed IE you touching somthing electoric that is conductive it realacts and sends a surge through that conductive material. Normally is does no dammage if its somthing like a door knob or a piece of metal. But with a PC it overloads the unit and fries it. Therefore if you walk aroudn on carpet a lot with your socks on all day you build up your fair share.

My steps to preventing it is this

1. Wear shoes
2. If at all possible do not stand on carpet
3. touch somthing metal the case normally works while so do door knobs.
4. Work, as i'm working if a job takes longer then expected I tend to touch the metal ground surface as I do too.

To fry a PC compent ýou have to have enough static to overload the compent as well.

You need to use Alcohol to clean the thermal paste from the cpu die and the heatsink or else you won't get all the residue off. Yeah, just use a tshirt, that will work just fine. Just take something like a razor blade or a credit card has been mentioned, and scrape off as much as you can, then take the shirt and dip a corner in a little alcohol and rub the rest of the thermal compound off. Then take a dry part of the tshirt and clean off the alcohol and any remaining thermal paste and you should be good to go. It's really not a big deal, just make sure you get all the residue off. Only takes about a minute, I just did it 2 weekends ago.

I'm guessing by left residue, were talking microscopic here?

Might be worth using something in that case for my next install. I don't want to take risks of making my CPU run hotter than it should this time round.

Back
Top Bottom