Infra Red wiring.

wsigo

BSOD
EDIT- Sorry for the big pics. I tried to resize them but it was apparently unsuccessful.

Hey guys I have the ir module from an old Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop. Can anyone help me figure out which wire does what? Or at least point me to somewhere/someone who does know anything about infra red.

S4020472.jpg

S4020479.jpg

In that second pic, I know it's blurry but etched into the board it reads: 'ZA1240 PO1' There are 5 wires on this thing if you can't see it that well

Thanks for any help!

Well the red leads obviously the power lead going into the motherboard somewhere, but as for the other leads, without seeing the connection they end up joining up to, I can't really help.

OK then. Which lead from USB is power? If I try to wire this thing up, do you think I'll fry it? I'd like to use this little bugger...

Its nto USB.

Its a special connector thats for the motherboard power source, and as for the connector itself to deliver this feature to the computer. It may very well have been specifically built for the motherboard on the laptop.

Well, yeah. I knew it was meant for a special header on the mobo. Mine does not have that option though. At least, it has the option, but it would require pins to be soldered to it, something I'm not comfortable doing. I read some things about wiring one up through the USB, and I can get a driver for it. I just didn't know if one not made specifacally for USB would still work or not. I figure, all it needs is power, ground, and data snd/rcv? Maybe I'm beating a dead horse with this one, I dont' know. I just thought it'd be cool to use

how will that be cheaper than this? this was free! lol i'm broke, that's why i thought it would be nice to get this one working

edit- any ideas on how much my local computer guru might charge me to solder some pins on my board? or do they even mess around with that stuff, on the local level..

Back
Top Bottom