3800+ or 3800+ X2

Alienownage

In Runtime
Posted it in the wrong place first time,

anyway, how much better is that 3800+ x2 than the 3800+? will a dual core help me in games that much? i can get a 3800+ on newegg for 97$ with a mobo combo thing, should i spend the extra money and get the dual core or save some and get the single. what are the pros and cons of both? I could probly, get a nvid 7800Gt or something if i went with the singlecore, what do u guys think

I believe dual core is superior to single core and games will perform better once they can take advantage of using dual core technology. My next system will most likely be dual core or other multi core CPU.

Dual core is the way to go. Forget the single core CPUs, unless you can't afford dual core. The performance boost for multitasking is significant, the same as when you put an extra graphics card in SLI configuration.

Video encoding, photoshop, visual studio, any professional applications in the past year should be geared towards multithreading. Vista benefits from it and very soon, games will start appearing with proper dual core support. With that in mind, please get dual core.

Make sure to order a heatsink/fan if ur getting it socket AM2 from newegg, cuz it says it only comes with the processor. ;)

Dual-core is more futureproof, but if you really need something now and have a tight budget, single core is good enough. Hardly any applications are multi-threaded and it'll be a while until they do so.

Dual-core is fast, but don't get it unless, well, you're actually using it. If you plan to just run one game (at a time) in windows without a bunch of apps in the background, dual and single will give you the exact same speeds. But if you plan to multitask, then yes, dual core will help.

i'd go with the 3800+X2 right now. simply because. if you got a single core now and decided to upgrade later. it would cost more than just buying the X2 right now if you know what i mean, plus you'll have a spare singlecore lying around collecting dust unless you decide to sell it, but by the time you decide to upgrade to dual core, everyone else probably would have done the same too whether it be with a pentium d/2 duo or an AMDX2

rakedog said:
Dual-core is fast, but don't get it unless, well, you're actually using it. If you plan to just run one game (at a time) in windows without a bunch of apps in the background, dual and single will give you the exact same speeds. But if you plan to multitask, then yes, dual core will help.

There are ways to make dual-core processing easier. You can always hide the second core from Windows. There's also a ton of other tricks too. :)

Because Windows sometimes gets confused, so a few apps might run with errors. Hiding one of the cores is the last resort and it's usually done if you can't patch any of the software. A lot of software and games now have patches to make them multithreaded and use both cores. Some might not.

Back
Top Bottom