woohoo, LCD smoking CRT's for new standard

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
http://www.ecinemasys.com/
http://www.ecinemasys.com/products/dcm23/dcm23_intro.htm
http://www.ecinemasys.com/products/dcm23/dcm23_specs.htm
http://www.ecinemasys.com/products/dcm23/dcm23_features.htm

In case you are too lazy to browse within the websites, I've linked them all here. The specs are very impressive. Now the matter is the cost of this sucker.

Now for a little background on what we're dealing with:

LCD panels usually lag behind CRT monitors in terms of color response, saturation, accuracy and overall black level response. Because LCDs are "always lit" by a backlight, deep dark blacks have been the main problem of LCD technology. However, a company named eCinema Systems has announced a new LCD technology that it claims surpasses CRT in virtually every respect.

eCinema's new LCD technology is being called high dynamic range LCD, and also supports "deep color", which is higher than 24 bit color, starting at 30 bit or 36 bit and can go up to 48 bit. The new panels are able to display 36 bit color (12 bits per color channel), and 1000 to 4000 step gray scales, producing fantastic gradients. Most LCDs today produce only 256 gray steps at most. This new "deep color" technology will be standard with the new HDMI 1.3 specification. What's most spectacular about eCinema's LCD display however, is its contrast ratio: 30,000:1. At this rating, eCinema's new DCM40HDR panel can achieve black levels that even CRTs cannot match. eCinema CEO Martin Euredjian said:

"It is well known that LCD displays did not until now produce the same deep blacks that were achievable when using a CRT. Color depth is, of course, the 8 bit bottleneck issue. Images on the screen at the pixel level are limited to a best case of 256 levels between black and white. In other words, if you painted a gray scale you could, at most, see 256 steps. The reality of the matter is that due to calibration and gamma adjustments most displays can't do much better than about 200 steps between black and white."

eCinema will be launching its new DCM40HDR 40 inch LCD by Q4 of this year. The new panel will be a true 1080p display and will be suitable for professional applications where only CRTs were used.

Wow, can you imagine if this were to replace all CRT and current LCD's in the future? Well, I don't think we'll be using a 40 inch monitor for our workstations or home computers, lol. Great for watching DVDs though.

Hah, think of the price. When that 40" comes out don't expect it to be for those on a budget. Becides, current LCDs are pretty nice anyways. Also, this is new technology, like Holograhpic storage and Blu-Ray, it'll be a niche product during it's initial release.

Black to Black response of 15ms, may be the same as a regular LCD displaying White to Black since its got a higher amount to go through.

This wouldn't affect much though, as colours on LCD take much longer to do than whats on the box anyway.

I.e - Mines 8ms black to white, but no way would it be that fast at colours.

Its only normal for something with a much high bit depth (which would look amazing, since I find current LCD to be slightly dissapointing) to have this type of response, and its good at that for the first revisions of it.

Regardless, HDCP compliant LCDs are the trend now. Gateway just announced its first HDCP compliant LCD panel, called the FPD1975W. The screen is a 19", something we can finally afford and not that 40" one. It uses a wide aspect ratio display that boasts decent resolution with support for HDCP content protection. Although the unit does not include a HDMI input, it does come with a DVI-D connection as well as an analog DB-15 input. The DVI-D input accepts traditional DVI signals as well as HDCP-DVI signals.

The FBD1975W will be one of the first few displays out to be able to claim true Windows Vista HDCP support, and be able to play back Blu-ray and HD-DVD movies when they actually ship. The company, BenQ, also announce an HDCP capable display at Computex called the FP241W, which is a 24" wide aspect ratio LCD.

Gateway's FBD1975W specifications:

Size: 19-inches
Aspect ratio: 16:10
Brightness: 300cd/m2
Contrast ratio: 700:1
Resolution: 1440x900 (unfortunately, not that high yet)
Response time: 8ms gray-to-gray
Inputs: DVI-D, DB-15 VGA
Lamp life: 50,000 hours

Resolution for Gateway's new 19" seems a bit on the low side, as some smaller 15" displays are already at 1440x900. The most interesting part is that even though the FBD1975W will support HDCP playback of HD content such as Blu-ray and HD-DVD, it will not be able to play those back at native resolution, since 1920x1080 is not supported. Without actual support for a native 1920x1080 resolution at the least, the screen will be unable to playback Blu-ray or HD-DVD content at their full HDCP-protected resolutions.

Still, it's a step in the right direction.

I have heardof these. Havent they been around for awhile. People use them for graphic work i am pretty sure.... But i dont think ill be able to afford it when it comes out...*Frowns*

Back
Top Bottom