Computer Freezes Up/Restarts By Itself

Etepavoc

Beta member
Lately my computer has started to freeze up and sometimes even restart by itself. Most of the time when i'm playing some of my pc games. I have the right hardware to play them, but I think there might be something wrong with my graphics card. After I've been playing one of my games the game freezes up and sometimes it gives me a message saying that my display drivers failed and I have to restart my pc, but most of the time my pc just restarts by itself. I have a nVidia GeForce FX5200 and the drivers are totally up to date. Today I looked in my computer and I saw 2 fans. One blowing on my hard drive and one blowing on my chipset. There isn't one cooling off my graphics card at all, so I was wondering if that is a problem or not. If there is anything else that someone could think of that might be the problem please give me some ideas. Thanks.

I've had this problem before, it was my RAM. Try switching that out as it's the easiest to change around. Then go for the Video Card. If you still experience problems, you may have a mobo or HD problem which would stink.

Definitely try the RAM first though

What's really funny is that i've switched my RAM out 2 times this year :confused: but I only have one 512mb chip and since I go on pretty big programs like Photoshop and Premiere alot, mabye they are frying my RAM and I need 1gb? I'm not sure if it's my RAM, but I did notice that when I went on my pc specs on my last RAM card it went from 512mb to 504mb so I got a new one. Now when I go to my pc specs the RAM says it's 510mb instead of 512mb :rolleyes: kinda odd.

Etepavoc said:
Umm i'm not sure...how do I find out? Just with a thermometer?

for cpu temps go to the bios (restart the computer and then before windows loads it will say something like press DEL to enter bios, the key is usually DEL, F2 or F3)

for vid card open the nVidia display thingy (from the small nVidia icon next to the clock etc) and then find the temperature settings.

Back
Top Bottom