AMD or Intel

AMD: It was the best ones to low-format. The only time I do it with an Intel, the mobo zaps off, leaving a dead mobo, Master HDD...a 120GB :mad: and a PSU

AMD is more efficient and power saving.

connchri said:
lol, look at the poll. lol, how the tables have turned over the past year. Guessing theres not as many fan boys here as I originally thought.

Haha, seriously. If you put the same poll up a year ago, the current poll standings would be reversed.

ownage said:
Not for long, lhuser ;) Conroe has some variants where it is 35W TDP :D

Yup, on June 25, Intel is projected to introduce the Intel Core Duo U2500, which works at 1.20GHz, has 2MB unified L2 cache and uses 533MHz processor system bus (PSB). The most awesome thing though, is that the U2500 is rated at 9W TDP. :D Dual-core for 9W of power? Where do I sign up? :p

Lol, Intel is talking about using integrated memory controllers within their CPUs, just like AMD. They are fighting mad to bring AMD to it's knees. However, they quote that they want to be the first to release multi core CPUs before AMD so most of their efforts are on that instead of full memory integration. We should see these new mulit core CPUs out in the beginning of 2007 sometime.

They are using something called CSI, it is completey different than AMD's memory controller. It is like the ring bus on ATi video cards, where bandwidth is insane. It will be very interesting to see the performance.

Look at how aggressive Intel is over AMD, lol:

"According to Intel's Enterprise Architecture Director Dileep Bhandarkar, he admitted that integrating the memory controller—which handles the flow of data to and from system memory—directly into the chip rather than housing it on a chip set would improve performance with some workloads. However, he said, Intel officials felt it was more important to bring a quad-core processor to the market before AMD does. The company expects to precede its rival by a quarter or two."

AMD was on the move late last year, but now, it looks like AMD will be slowing down again until they can get their new stuff out which won't be anytime soon.

It's true the IMC would provide slightly better performance and a higher memory bandwith (as with AM2), but the bandwith capabilities the IMC provides is mostly theoretical and is never used in real life. That is why Intel hasn't implemented the IMC yet and chooses to keep the memory controller in the northbridge. It's also smarter because it keeps processor prices down because the additional memory controller on die would take up more space and use more money to manufacture.

Oh the AM2 will come back as the next revolution in CPU's as far as memory control. But first memory has to become fast enough to utilize it. And 2007 will probably be AMD's home turf again. But this year looks like Intel made the better improvements.

And yeah, the polls are interesting. I'm an AMD-fan of course, as always, but a year ago AMD had about 2/3 of the votes.. now it's half and half. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom