Microsoft riddle

h25520062

In Runtime
I got this done in 2 min its easy really First person done wins. no looking up answers.

The Microsoft Challenge"
Allegedly, this is one of the questions for potential Microsoft employees. One guy reportedly solved it by writing a C program, and although it took him 37 minutes to develop the program, it did compile and run on the first try. Another guy solved the problem in 3 minutes. A group of 50 Motorola employees couldn't figure it out at all. The story line has been modified with a Christmas theme, but the problem remains the same. See how long it takes you...

Four elves have a meeting that starts in 17 minutes and they must allcross a bridge to get there. All four elves begin on the same side of the bridge. You must help them across to the other side. It is night. There is one flashlight. A maximum of two elves can cross at a time. Any party who crosses, either 1 or 2 elves, must have the flashlight with them. The flashlight must be walked back and forth; in other words, it cannot bethrown, etc.
Each elf walks at a different speed. A pair must walk at the rate of the slower elf's pace.
Speedy - 1 minute to cross the bridge.
Happy - 2 minutes to cross the bridge.
Smarty - 5 minutes to cross the bridge.
Lazy - 10 minutes to cross the bridge.
For example, if Smarty and Lazy walk across first, 10 minutes have elapsed when they get to the other side of the bridge. If Lazy then returns with the flashlight, a total of 20 minutes have elapsed and you have failed the mission.
Note: There is no "trick" to this problem; it is simply a matter of the appropriate allocation of available resources. There are two known solutions to this problem . This is based on a question Microsoft gives to all prospective employees...Microsoft expects applicants to solve this problem in less than 5 minutes.

Speedy and Lazy: 10 minutes, Speedy returns, 1 more minute, there you have 11 minutes, he takes Smarty with him back, five minutes, Speedy returns, 16 minutes, he takes Happy with him and 2 minutes pass, 18 minutes, that's it.

I edit to add that that took me a total of 3 minutes at the same time of watching the game between Brazil and Croatia.

Luiz396 said:
Speedy and Lazy: 10 minutes, Speedy returns, 1 more minute, there you have 11 minutes, he takes Smarty with him back, five minutes, Speedy returns, 16 minutes, he takes Happy with him and 2 minutes pass, 18 minutes, that's it.

I edit to add that that took me a total of 3 minutes at the same time of watching the game between Brazil and Croatia.

17 minutes sorry wrong

Yeah, I've saw this before too but why is it called The Microsoft Challenge? Lol... Yes, I know they ask their potential employees or whatever, but still... :confused:

Jordan Pardy said:
Yeah, I've saw this before too but why is it called The Microsoft Challenge? Lol... Yes, I know they ask their potential employees or whatever, but still... :confused:
I dont know its easy though I got this 10 times in my life 6 diffrent types but same thing its really easy just think a little bit and also draw a picture to help

But you said that it had to be less than 20 minutes, not 17... :S

Sorry, but I misunderstood the problem due to a stupidity and language problem, since English isn't my native language :). :(

i got 12 minutes. speedy and happy cross, 2 minutes. lazy and smarty cross, 10 more minutes. 2 plus 10 equals 12.

you are probably thinking, "but there is only one flashlight, and they have to walk it back to eachother." well, the problem said there is one flashlight, not ONLY one flashlight. well, if there is 2 flashlights, that means there is also one flashlight. i am assuming there is 2 flashlights since it didnt specify that there is not 2 flashlights.

After the shame of failing, I decided to do it again some minutes after posting. This time it took me like 4 minutes more or less; the result impressed me. I like very much riddles and this stuff.

Speedy and Happy cross the bridge: 2 minutes. Speedy goes back. He gives the flashlight to Smarty and Lazy who crossed in 10 minutes. It's been 13 minutes by now, once on the other side they give the flashlight to Happy who returns in 2 minutes to take Speedy and himself in 2 more minutes.

I'm happy now, because I solved it :).

Back
Top Bottom