Yay - spot of cleaning and thinking did trick

Kage

Golden Master
Yayyyyy!!!!! :D

Well, all today (why I haven't been on), i've been cleaning my room...

...mad I know, but this rooms very dusty, and after seeing the front intake fan clogged up, I decided to do something about it.

Well, the rooms dust free now, and whats better is the temps have gone down in the room, so its now 27 degrees C.

Onto the great news.

I found a way of getting to the front intake 120mm fan, and i cleaned it up.

I then after reading a bit about air flow control, switched the polarity around, so this fan was now blowing the hot air out of the case, while the one 80mm fan at the back (which was a blow fan) became an intake fan.

I then got the hard drive cooler which I decided not to use again, and placed this horizontally near the intake/blower fan of the PSU to direct hot air up and out. This seems to work well to.

After doing all that, and also clearing the trays I didn't need in the hard drive bays to not restrict the air:

The CPU now idles at 42-43 degrees C (System temp - 36 degrees C - PWM - 37 degrees C - Room temp - 27 degrees C)

Yes, you saw that right. Alot better than my 48-50's I was getting idle before.

TESTING:

I even ran a test by switching the polarity of the front 120mm blow fan, back to an intake, and do you know what?

The CPU went back up the 48-50 degrees C, and the system got a bit hotter too, and its been like that for aggeess :D .

Unusual or what?

Whats more, the PC's running quieter since the CPU fan is now spinning at 1980RPM and still keeping it very very cool compared to the 4000-5000 odd RPM is was spinning at previously!

Now how goods that for just a switch of polarity, and a spot of cleaning?

NEW FAN/HEATSINK:

I'm still getting the Arctic Freezer 64 PRO though to cool it down even more, and may then overclock (depends really). Plus I'm going to get 2 intake 80mm fans for the back (has 1 at the moment) which are going to be quieter models.

I should then have an almost silent PC :)

The only sound thats annoying me is the higher pitched 80mm back fan than the rest.

*EDIT*

I let the fan speed of the CPU increase using this program to the full 3280RPM, and it only cooled down the CPU another 1 degree, and so didn't make much difference at all. So I think I'll stick with it a bit quieter.

All I need now is 2x 80mm case fans that are very quiet, yet powerful. Any suggestions? :)

I thought maybe this?

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=10271&GroupID=358

Sorry for long post...:(

Sweet man congrats on the cooler temps and the quiter computer :)
HeHe
Why are saying sorry for long post? its fine lol

Hey, thanks for the links Ownage :) Haha, that first one :p

How loud is 32-33 decibels?

I want my computer to be really quiet, yet powerfully cooled you see, and the power on those seems great.

Is 32-33db hardly audible? Because my back 80mm fan at the moment which I picked up for about a quid is probably much louder if so.

Any way of hearing db's through maybe speakers, knowing the default volume that would make it most accurate?

Thanks Nate :)
I guess compared to your usual posts, this isn't long, haha, only joking.

FANS:

I placed a massive 40 watt fan at the back of the computer where air is being drawn in, and the room temp is always 1 degree below the system temp (room - 28- sys - 29). Without the big fan at the back, the system gets 6 degrees hotter than the room.

I'm sure if I get 2 good 80mm back fans, I should get some great cooling.

30dbA is barely audible. I think it would be more a hum rather than a high pitched noise. Pretty soothing to the ears.

30DB is more a hum yeah..what about getting a fan controller and just whacking that in there.

Kewl, thats alright then :D

Yeah, though my motherboard supports 5 fans I've heard.
There are two slots below the PCI slots I didn't know were there for 2 auxillery fans, and 1 system fan slot I can see too.

Since I have UGuru, this can monitor temps, and do all the fan controlling for me :)

So I may just get fans that can plug into these ports.

WHAT I DON'T GET:

I don't get this though. How come when I have a USB device plugged in that comes up with a plugged in logo in the task bar (for example, my USB hard drive), that the temps suddenly shoot up with the CPU and don't drop?

Cpu at the moment is 43 degrees C idle. As soon as I plug that USB drive in, the temps shoot to 49-50 degrees C idle. Why? I don't get that.

Back
Top Bottom