AMD Opteron

Alienownage

In Runtime
Building comp, will probly start buying stuff friday... I am thining of going with the Opteron... its 170 on Newegg, what are the goods and bads about this cpu?
are there any better processors for gaming that are around that price.. 200ish max, This is my first AMD so i dont know much about them... thanks

i'm guessing you are talking about the opteron 144(as opposed to the 148, 165, etc.)
AMDs are better for gaming and the opteron offers the best performance for the price.
the 1.8Ghz 144 can be overclocked to about 2.6 on stock cooling and many have been getting to 3 Ghz on water. opterons in general are very good because they are originally server grade processors (which means they undergo more rigorous testing for stability.)
make sure to look around though before you buy, you can usually find a 144 for aroun $140. try monarchcomputer.com, zipzoomfly.com, tankguys.com, and even tigerdirect.com.
just looked and monarch has them for $138 OEM which means you need a HSF and thermal paste but it still might be cheaper. who knows check it out. i was going to get a 144 but decided to just save some more money and go dual core with a 165.
also don't be scared off by AMDs lower Ghz. 3Ghz in an AMD is somewhere around 4.2 Ghz intel. have fun.

The only thing is if you get the 144 is you will need a board that can reach high fsb's because of the low multiplyer. I have a 146 and it's awesome. I can run it at 3ghz very easily on air cooling. What I would do though is go on ebay and find an opteron that you know will overclock well. If you aren't sure about it ask here.

here is a good stepping
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Opteron-148...ryZ80142QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Get it at monarch. They are cheap and constantly have coupon codes for their processors. Get $70 off the 165 by using this code: 60906-120339

yes it will, though i suggest a ASRock Dual SATA mobo or a DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D. any socket 939 board should work fine. you also wanna get a nForce4 chipset.

The DFI Lanparty Ultra D would be good. If this is your first build though you might want to stay away from it. They can be pretty hard to set up.

Back
Top Bottom