free operating systems

Gnarly

Baseband Member
If I download a free operating system such as unix, will I still be able to play windows video games? I'm going to have to restore my computer because of a virus but i can't find my windows disc, so i'm going to install a free os.

Get a linux based OS and a program called Wine you can run windows games inside linux, which is what mammikoura said.

Is it a Windows Emulator? If it is, then dont you have to own a copy of XP anyway? If it isnt, would it work smoothly for games?

Gnarly said:
If I download a free operating system such as unix, will I still be able to play windows video games? I'm going to have to restore my computer because of a virus but i can't find my windows disc, so i'm going to install a free os.
i think there is an emulator... i think it is called WINE.

samurai said:
Is it a Windows Emulator? If it is, then dont you have to own a copy of XP anyway? If it isnt, would it work smoothly for games?
It's not exactly an emulator. If I understand correctly it just changes the command (or whatever) the game sends to windows into a form that linux can understand.

And yes it should work smoothly for games, haven't used it myself so I can't speak from personal experience, but I've heard that it's good for games too.

Wine is NOT an emulator. Hence, it is not any slower than windows. It runs everything just as good as windows. The only problem is that sometimes the drivers (for example, ATI is notorious for making shitty Linux drivers, while nvidia is a huge *nix fan) sometimes blog up the system and make it impossible to play, but all old games are completely playable.

There is also a program called cedega which is specifically designed to be a Windows API emultor for games. It's very nice and fast, however, it has bugs with some of the newer games, and generally takes about a year for a game to become 100% windows-like on linux.

Oh and all good game dedicated servers, be it UT, CS, BF, any of those games all versions, have far better Linux servers than windows.

rakedog said:
Wine is NOT an emulator. Hence, it is not any slower than windows. It runs everything just as good as windows.
I actually heard that sometimes it playes games with better fps than a similar computer with windows. Might be because windows uses quite much ram, but most games should definitely work fine on wine.

Gnarly said:
Suse10

Back
Top Bottom