Reinstall Windows XP

venividivici1

Solid State Member
I've been planning my reinstallation of Windows XP, but I am still a bit nervous that I may mess up. I've never reinstalled it, and it has been two years since I've bought my computer. The reason for the reinstallation is that I want to see if there is an improvement in overall computer quality. I've been reading TweakingCompanion 3.1 and downloaded the recommended software to ensure proper installation. But I have some questions concerning the process. (They are after the specifications, so you can just scroll down then reference the specs as needed.) Here are my computer specifications: (Sorry if my post is extremely long.)

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3400 MHz (17 x 200)
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2
Motherboard Chipset Intel Canterwood i875P/E7210
System Memory 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (02/19/04)

Display:
Video Adapter 256MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 XT Sec (256 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9800 XT (R360)
Monitor Dell E172FP [17" LCD] (M160944C0W5S)

RAM: PC3200 DDR SDRAM 512 mb x4 @ 400 mhz ( Form Factor DIMM
Type SDRAM) [Module Name Hyundai HYMD264 646B8J-D43]

Sound: [ SB Audigy Audio [CF00] ]

DirectSound Device Properties:
Device Description SB Audigy Audio [CF00]
Driver Module ctaud2k.sys
Primary Buffers 1
Min / Max Secondary Buffers Sample Rate 4000 / 192000 Hz
Primary Buffers Sound Formats 8-bit, 16-bit, Mono, Stereo
Secondary Buffers Sound Formats 8-bit, 16-bit, Mono, Stereo
Total / Free Sound Buffers 64 / 60
Total / Free Static Sound Buffers 64 / 60
Total / Free Streaming Sound Buffers 64 / 60
Total / Free 3D Sound Buffers 64 / 60
Total / Free 3D Static Sound Buffers 64 / 60
Total / Free 3D Streaming Sound Buffers 64 / 60

Nothing in other PCI slots.

Storage:

IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
SCSI/RAID Controller Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Raid 0 Volume (298 GB, IDE) (There are two internal hard drives and windows recognizes it as one because it is RAID 0 [both of them being 149 gb each.])
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-2164D USB Device
Optical Drive SONY CD-RW CRX216E (48x/32x/48x CD-RW)
Optical Drive TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E (DVD:8x/4x/12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW

Power Management Properties:
Current Power Source AC Line
Battery Status No Battery

I am not sure where to find the make and model of the power supply on everest. :mad:

I have a new maxtor 200 gb 2.0 usb hard drive that I plan on using. I am going to make a backup of my current hard drive onto the hard drive in case I mess up. I have the sound blaster audigy drivers, the monitor drivers, and two other cds with drivers.

Do you know of any good software that I can use to create backup drivers of the drivers I already have installed on the computer, for further caution? I also downloaded ERUNT to create registry backups. I have the Dell MS Windows XP Pro SP 1a Operating System on a CD to reinstall. One concern that I have is that I do not have a floppy for the RAID 0 volume that I plan to keep when I reinstall.

Also, does a computer that is around two years old need a BIOS update?

So my overall plan is that I will reinstall windows with the RAID 0 volume configured, then transfer some of the files from the external maxtor drive back to the computer for my normal use.

If I decide later on, will I still be able to install another operating system (perhaps Linux) so that it will be a dual booting computer?
This is because I heard it is bad to reinstall windows many times especially in a short time period. I'm not sure why though.

Finally, do you see any flaws in my thinking?
Will my reinstallation process be successful? If you know of any freeware that will provide me with necessary software for backing up drivers, or making my reinstallation easier, or that will provide me with a more detailed checklist, I will be eternally grateful.

Thanks. :)

Note: I am new to these boards. I came here because I've heard that you guys are helpful and smart.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Thanks.

make sure u have backed up all of the stuff u want 2 keep, put the cd in and restart the computer, it should load up from the cd. all u have 2 do it reformat the hard disk and then it will reinstall xp, make sure u have got all the driver cds tho.

it might...when u first put in the cd or whatever it askes u for a 3rd party raid driver so i guess it depends.

Back
Top Bottom