is this legal?

itturnstoashes said:
No, it's 100% legal. I'm aswell 100% sure of it. They can't be sure WHICH device you copied it from, and they would NEVER drag a court case over it. But why are you all so afraid of downloading files illegally? Is american law different? I guess it is if your debating it. But in canada, if you legally purchased a media, it may be stored on ANY other media device, including ipods, dvd's and flash media, as long as it is not redistributed.

Just because you CAN do it and PROBOBLY not get in trouble does not mean its legal, get a video in source to your computer, attach a VCR to it through the VCR's video out port, and record it through movie maker found with windows xp.

That simple, and legal for sure.

iturntoashes said:
But in canada, if you legally purchased a media, it may be stored on ANY other media device, including ipods, dvd's and flash media, as long as it is not redistributed.

Upon downloading it, even if you already have it, you are downloading a redistributed copy, and that IS illegal.

xguynameddavex said:
Just because you CAN do it and PROBOBLY not get in trouble does not mean its legal, get a video in source to your computer, attach a VCR to it through the VCR's video out port, and record it through movie maker found with windows xp.

That simple, and legal for sure.

Upon downloading it, even if you already have it, you are downloading a redistributed copy, and that IS illegal.

No it's definately not. Did i say redistribute anywhere in that text? I believe not. I said storing your personal media on other devices. Thats totaly legal. It's called backup son.

Its not backing up when its not from your source. If it comes from someone else.. Thats called piracy.

well, i suppose it would be different, because nowadays the dvds are more expensive, and some movies dont even come out on vhs anymore

Hm, well, who gives a flying rats ass. It's not like they'll ever find you if you download a movie and burn it to dvd. The odds are low. VERY low. Piracy is the way to go. :)
Hura pirates!

If it does turn up being legal, make sure to turn off file uploading in limewire, otherwise you'll be distributing it to people who may not own it, which is illegal.

Random Tidbit: A majority of the targets of people who sued for file sharing have been from uploading, not downloading. But Downloading illegally is well, illegal - And I'm not saying you should.

Yeah, but if he already owns a copy its not *really* illegal. Not many people get caught from downloading anyway :p . If he owns it, he paid for that, then they've already made their money... but theres too many ways to look at it.

Back
Top Bottom