Why Does HL2:E1 Run Like This???

Wiredchild

In Runtime
Ok, so yesterday i grabbed a copy of Half-Life 2: Episode 1...Ok, i didn't grab it, that sounds like i stole it. I bought a copy.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Skt939), ASUS A8N-E, 1GB Corsair DDR400 Dual Channel RAM, and a nVidia 6600GT PCI-E 128MB Oc'd to 586Mhz/ 1.17Ghz. Thing is, that always seemed pretty reasonable for playing games averagely...Though i have an LCD which means i have to play on 1280x1024, which sucks.

So, yesterday, when i got it running...I was a bit annoyed that it wasn't running on medium settings very fast, considering it 'recommended' high settings with Antialiasing off etc etc. So i put it all on the lowest and still was getting a very reputable frame rate.

Anyway, this is the thing. I wanted to take a screenshot for a mate so I put all the graphics on the highest settings like 16X Aniostrophic Filtering (whatever that is) 8X Antialising, and all the textures and models on highest etc etc. And, it runs perfectly smoothly, i must be getting about 30-40fps and it barely drops even when there's loads of action on the screen.

I was thinking about upgrading my videocard to a 6800 or something...But, i'm not sure now. The fact that it plays perfectly on high, and naff on low just doesn't make sense.

WHY DOES IT DO THIS!?

Cheers,
WiredChild

Well, its Half Life 1. So its not very graphicly demanding. I have an X300se, and it could run it on highest detail. No antialising or aniostrphic filtering.

But, I would still do it if you have the extra money. Because it gets you higher FPS which would be noticable, and it helps unpack textures faster and such. It would just be better oval to do it like that. Although, you really dont need it. So if you dont want to spend some needless money, dont do it. Although, how old are you? Do you need to worry about a car and all that jazz, or are you like 13-14 where you can spend money as you like?

ArrizX said:
Well, its Half Life 1. So its not very graphicly demanding. I have an X300se, and it could run it on highest detail. No antialising or aniostrphic filtering.

No, it's not HL1. It's like HL3 I think.

Ahh!

:eek:

Anyways, I dont know why your video card is doing so well. I still say get a new one if you can afford it.

Crabby... said:
Nope, both are wrong. It is Half Life 2: Eposode 1

It is an expanion for HL2.

No. I wouldn't call it an expansion since it doesn't require the original HL2 to run. (atleast I don't think it does). I think it does continue from where HL2 ended, but it's still a stand alone game so it's not an expansion.

Well, it is not an expanion but it is like one, it is an eposode, it is not a new game though, it is only around 3 hours of game play.

It is Half Life 2: Eposode 1

So, it is an expanion off of Half Life 2 :)

Crabby... said:
Well, it is not an expanion but it is like one, it is an eposode, it is not a new game though, it is only around 3 hours of game play.

It is Half Life 2: Eposode 1

So, it is an expanion off of Half Life 2 :)

let's just call it a stand-alone expansion :p

And to the real question on this thread, I have no idea, but don't worry about it, if u can run it on high then it's good right? :)

mammikoura said:
let's just call it a stand-alone expansion :p

And to the real question on this thread, I have no idea, but don't worry about it, if u can run it on high then it's good right? :)

Lol words of wizdom from mammi

Back
Top Bottom