Harddrive problem

Alienownage

In Runtime
Just got a pc from the neighbors... 800mhz amd duron processor 20 gig harddrive. it had windows 2000 on it, so i tried to put xp on it...wouldnt install at first so i took out the drive and put in in my alien then i installed xp.. installed fine. never loaded windows though.. so i stick it back in the original pc , loads through bios then goes to a black screen and stops.. could anyone help me with this problem?

Well, is the Harddrive enabled in the BIOS. Because it could just be that BIOS are appearing, and because its not set to load anything, it doesnt go anywhere from there.

In my experience, its that the Harddrive isnt compatable with the mobo. Say an IDE harddrive to an SATA one. Because oddly enough there are some of the same plugs in the computer, although, not used for the same thing (My damn dell).

Im like 90% you still need to choose a boot path.

How would i go about choosing a boot path?? I dont think that its not compatible.. since it came with the computer from the factory

ok, well then when you get into the BIOS. Well, do you kow how to?

Either way, press F2, I think. And then you will find it on the left side. I think it might even say boot path. And then just make it boot from the Harddrive.

Hit it? Lol

Well, do you have a linux live cd, and are you able to boot from cd rom? Because with knoppix, you can figre out if there is anything on the hard drive or not. Sounds like there isnt.

It probably doesn't work since windows thought it would be working with the mobo in the alienware. Just like if u buy a new mobo u have to reinstall windows (usually, sometimes works without reinstalling) because it was installed with another mobo in the pc.

Just put the drive in the pc it belongs to and try to install windows.

edit:
Arrizx said:

lol, well it does work sometimes. :D

Back
Top Bottom