No internet access when using a limited user account

shaundc

Baseband Member
I have a question that I need answered (which I should know but I don't :( ). The scenerio is: I a PC running XP Pro with two user accounts, one administrator and one limited. When I log on as admin everything works fine but when I log on as limited I can't access the internet. Its a wireless connection and the networking icon and the adapter's software are both disabled and I can't enable them. When I add the limited account to the admin group everything is fine. I've tried the run as command to enable the adapter's software and network connection but it didn't work.....does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get internet access using the limited account? Thanks

Simply put... The permissions on that computer limit your account, and do not allow you to use the required software to run your wireless card.

Exactly what uid said, I would say don't use XP Limited accounts because it's horribly managed, and find some restrictive software that you only install on the limited account.

microsoft shared computer kit. can restrict nearly everything in any account. try it

Go into Computer Management with the Admin account, and add the limited user to the Power Users group. It will gain more access that way. You can even experiement with other groups.

This is something that we have to deal with all the time at work when building new machines.

1. Log in as a user with Administrative access. Set up that profile exactly how you want it. Setup desktop icons, wireless connections etc.

2. Log in as a different Administrative user and copy the users profile from step one to the Default user profile (you may have to set the folder to show hidden files and folders)

3. delete the limited users profile

4. Log back in as the limited user and they should have wireless access.

Back
Top Bottom