Suggestions For New Computer

Is it better than Socket 939? And when I install RAM, do I just put it in the motherboard? My friend said something about thermal grease or heat spreader.

AM2 is a new socket, and processor line that uses DDR2 ram. Its better, but not to the point that you can tell. Only the really high end stuff is better then 939.

Thermal paste is for a CPU heatsink, I think. And I beleive heat spreaders are for ram.

But anyways, dont worry about Am2, you can just stick with 939 and be A-ok.

yeah. am2 is better than socket 939. thermal grease?... i think your friend meant thermal paste, and that goes on your cpu in order to make it run cooler, but it isn't a must, i don't use it, and since you're using an AMD cpu, they usually run pretty cool on their own so don't bother yourself with buying any, unless you're a major overclocker. a heat spreader comes on some higher end RAM models, i'm not exactly sure, but they probably just as the name suggests equally disperses the heat throughout the RAM so that cooling is easier, RAM, doesn't HAVE to have a heat spreader, normally only performance RAM does, i know my value ram doesn't have one and my RAM hasn't self destructed just yet.

AM2 is alright. I would seriously wait for Intel Conroe to come out though. So far, all the engineering samples and Computex previews have kicked the AM2's ass over and over. Check Anandtech.com, they just came out with an article talking about the Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme X6800 burning the AMD Athlon FX-62 AM2 up the butt.

kchi55....did you say you dont use thermal paste? Are you nuts? That is really really not smart. Even on AMDs that is one of the dumbest things ever. Do you know what thermal paste does? In every heatsink, there are microscopic grooves on the bottom of it due to machining. They are like valleys and mountains so the contact between the IHS and the heatsink is not good. Now with thermal paste, it fills in those microscopic valleys and mountains so heat transfer is more efficient. So all in all, stop giving out false information, espcially one that will ruin one's computer.

Haha, I didn't even see that. :p Seriously though, thermal paste is a must. You don't need much, just a little dot about the size of a rice grain or so is good enough. To spread it out, you can use a flat piece of plastic or some credit card or something, but usually just letting the heatsink use it's weight to spread out the thermal paste is good enough.

Hey guys, do you think that a

Power Up 2531 Blue ATX Mid-Tower Case
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe Socket 939 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket 939 OEM Processor
Masscool AMD K8 Cooler Fan
Ultra X-Finity 500-Watt ATX Power Supply

All of those for $300 is a good deal?

Back
Top Bottom