Install

BamaFan29891

In Runtime
Hey guys. I have a laptop that has Windows Professional Home and I was wanting to know something about External Hard Drives.

I don't want to partition and have 2 OS on my laptop because of the small hard drive, but I recently bought Windows Media Center Edition and want it too, just for it's help with XBox 360 streaming of videos, music, etc.

Is it possible, and how if so, to install the Windows MCE on the Ext HDD and boot from it so I have 2 OS? I want to be able to boot it from the Ext if I want to or the Internal HDD on the laptop.

Thanks for any help with this, and help will be appreciated. Thanks for all you guys do :)

its possable if your BIOS supports booting from USB or USB drives. I would look in the BIOS to see what your BIOS can boot to.. I know mine can and its 2003 mobo

Ok, I am not by my laptop right now, so let's just assume it can.

What steps do I take after that? Just boot from CD and install it to that drive?

Thanks

yea.. idk about that. I think you should install the OS on your system, than take that part of that harddrive say its 1GB partion with windows MCE, than get nortons ghost and let it copy that partion to the USB.. it chould work

If the drive is simply enclosed in a case, take out the drive and place it into your computer (disconnect your current hard drive), and install Windows MCE on the drive. Once you're done, installed all the drivers and software you need, take it out and place it back in the case (don't forget to connect your original hard drive back up). First and foremost, check like X800 said, in the BIOS and make sure it supports booting from a USB drive. It should be under the boot options in BIOS if available.

Back
Top Bottom