External Hard Drive?

BamaFan29891

In Runtime
Hey guys.

This is my first post. So I wanted to say hey to the board. I am sure I am a complete noob to you guys, lol. I know you are much more knowledgable about computers and what not, but I want to know more and learn more. :)

My question is: Can I "password-protect" my External Hard Drive? I have a 80GB Seagate Ext HDD and I want to put protection on it so you have to know the password to access it.

I don't think this is possible, but I would like to know if it is :)

Thanks

I've seen some software that can do this. In addition, they also have external hard drive enclosures that actually have to have a fingerprint in order to access it. The software/hardware security is there, keep in mind that it could be a little expensive, but it will keep the wanna-be theives out- but no amount of security can stop someone who knows what they are doing.

I've been searching around and can't really find anything besides paying for something. What you could do, is anything you put onto the external hdd, put in a .rar or a compressed folder, that let's you have the option of putting a password on it. So, even if someone got access to your external hdd, they couldn't open anything on it

Yeah I didn't think about that, but it would probably take me like a few hours to RAR/UNRar it, because some of the folders are like gigs on top of gigs. Thanks for that reply too :)

it is called, drilling a hole thru the usb connector of the hdd and putting a lock on it, like a lock with a key thru the hole.

jk, DONT DO THAT. lol

Back
Top Bottom