Underclocking a CPU (you saw this right)

Kage

Golden Master
You may not ever hear this phrase again, but I'm going to say it:

Whats the easiest way, and is it possible to UNDER clock a CPU?

I have a 3500+ with a Abit-AV8 motherboard.
It has some overclocking features built in, which is good I guess, but for now, I want to underclock.

I'm worrying about the CPU you see in this hot weather, without suficent cooling which I can't get hold of yet.

The CPU yesterday, and I'm not joking, got to 71 degrees C when really pushing it, and I can't have that again. Something must be wrong with this fan or something.

Too much dust maybe...

Anyhow...

At the moment I have a massive 30mm fan or something in front of the PC, pushing air away and its working a bit.

Whats the easiest way to for the moment, throttle it back to around 3200-3000+ speed?

just go to the bios and find the overclocking thingys. Then, just like in overclocking, change the fsb, only this time u want to make the fsb smaller since then the total clock speed will also be slower.

And my p4 does hit about 70C under 100% load, idle temp is about 50C. Not too worried about those temps, but I'm looking for a new heatsink and fan so I can oc.

And a massive 30mm fan? :D I don't see how that is possible.

Haha, sorry i tihnk mm is a bit too small :p I meant more like cm :D I haven't measured the thing, haha, sorry.

Yeah but this is an AMD Athlon 64, it should NEVER get that hot :p I'm sure its more normal for a P4 system.

Yeah, I may try. Least I'll have less chance damaging it, underclocking :p I don't exactly need all this speed at this point in time.

Just lower the FSB. Also you could try lowering the voltage. Just make sure it is stilll stable after lowering the voltage.

Yeah okay, I'll have a go.

This board is built for overclocking, so it resets settings automatically if things are to go wrong, so I shouldn't have too much problems.

Heres hoping.

I was just wondering about underclocking though, since I'm basically telling the CPU to do less than it was intended.

I lower FSB by half. It went to maximum....P4 3GHZ to 1.5GHZ.

Temps stayed the same.

Well what's going to lower the temps significantly is a lower Vcore. Depending on how much you lower it try somthing like 1.35 or 1.325. After you do this just test it to make sure it's stable. I like running Prime95 to test stability

Hmm, I went into BIOS, and was very limited.

It uses the Uguru overlclock utility, and well, I could change the bus speed, which was already set to its lowest of 200mhz, and the voltages, which again were set to their lowest.

The multipler which was set at 11x was locked, as when i tried to press enter on it, it just went back to the same menu...

So, I couldn't underclock or anything really.

There were no FSB settings or anything like that.

Thanks I'll have a go :)

yeah, it does, since it supports the Uguru program, but, it only lets you overclock, and I have no idea why the multiplier would be locked like that. This motherboard/CPU's supposed to be able to change.

Back
Top Bottom