Help Me Decide...

johnlee009

Solid State Member
$123.76 Pentium D 805 2.66ghz Em64t Dual Core W/1mb X 2 Cache 533mhz Lga775

$168.48 Pentium D 820 2.8ghz Em64t Dual Core W/1mb X 2 Cache 800mhz Lga775

$189.47 Pentium D 930 3.0ghz Em64t Dual Core W/2mb X 2 Cache 800mhz Lga775

It will run on a $85 GIGABYTE GA-8N-SLI motherboard.

Which processor the best bang for the buck?

Thanks.

Best bang for the buck is the budget 805. Although, IMO thats just too slow. I wouldnt go any slower then the 820, although, the 830 would be insane.

How much are you working with?

But in answer to your question, the 805 is the best bang for the buck.

Planning to spend around $500-$600 for a cpu, motherboard, ram, and video card.

Not a hardcore gamer, but I would like to have the option to play new games coming out in the future.

Or should I wait for the new DuoCore 2s to come out soon? So the prices will drop?

The 805 is a great overclocker as well, but I wouldn't get it since the FSB is so low. Get the step up, and grab the 820 or 830 like ArrizX said. Although, the 930 is probably the best decision since it runs on newer core technology and has 2 megabytes of L2 cache.

Nah... Well, if your making a laptop ;)

I can tell your not exactly the computer expert (no offence). Its just that you wont need, or even see the difference between the two. Then again half the people here wouldnt either :p

Anyways, nah man, just get 830 and call it good. Because im sure that you want to use it stright outta the box, right? No Ocing and crap. Because you could go cheaper, and get the 820 and overclock a bit, and have it better then the 830, although, that would just be a hassle, and you would need to watch temperatures.

My suggestion goes for the 830 because its a nice processor, straight outta the box.

Haha yeah you're right. I'm no computer expert. Not even a novice. :p

Guess I'll try to find the 830, if I can't find it then I'll get the 820.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Glad I found this forum.

Really, I would spend the extra 20-30 bucks and grab the 930. Why? Because the 930 uses the 65nm cores as opposed to the 90nm cores, which means less heat and power consumption in general. I haven't seen a direct comparison of the two processors, but I'm guessing that the 930 also has less power consumption than the 830. They are both the same speed and have the same FSB, which is good, and the 930 has an extra megabyte of L2 cache per core, which equals two times two megabytes or four total, whilst the 830 has one times two or two total. So, that will also give you a performance increase. If you are on a budget, go with the 830. If you have a little extra money to throw around and you want a bit nicer setup, go with the 930. Even though you probably won't notice a huge difference of speed between the two, the new 65nm process and the extra 2 megabytes of L2 cache are just cool to have. :D

But, do what feels right.

Darn you guys!

Its too tempting to get a better faster processor. :mad:

Now I'm leaning towards the 930 even though it will go over my budget. :p

Back
Top Bottom