Microsoft Office 2007

greybell

Solid State Member
I'm going to install Microsoft Office 2007 BETA 2 alongside Office 2003. People are having problems with Outlook 2007, so I won't install that - I'd like to stick with OL 2003.

Is anyone else trying out the new version? Do you think I'll be able to choose Word, Powerpoint and Excel only from the customised option? I'm not really curious about the rest.

What do you think of the new UI?

I'm now using all of the new Office programs, Joxley, apart from Outlook 2007, which is very unstable.

Here, read the review I have provided:

LHUSER FlashReV 2K6 Genuine

REVIEW OF TODAY:
MICROSOFT OFFICE 2007 Beta 2

First impressions:

At first glance, a member at www.computerforums.org has given us a link referring to the second beta of Microsoft Office 12. Since I already had it, I decided to wait until I completely backup my previous Windows to use Windows Vista's latest beta (See FLREV 3). Well, right now, since I did not operate the program fully, I actually am reviewing the first impressions, thus, the title given.

COMPARING BETA 1 vs BETA 2

To the visual style of Beta 1 and Beta 2, the beta 2 fully wins the round. Although the nice style, it also fits the color of your taskbar. The only con of the Beta 2 visual style is that the visual effects (fading on when hovering a button) have disappeared. I would assume that it will be back during beta 3 (If any)
Another change from the Beta 1 and Beta 2 is that Microsoft Office has changed the version. Beta 1 was called Microsoft Office 12 and the new beta is officially Microsoft Office 2007.
There is an addition of a feature: The zoom. Zoom during your work for people with needs of bigger viewing. It can also zoom out.

OFFICE XP vs 2003 vs 2007

Office XP: Easy to use, expensive. It is not a major change from Microsoft Office 97/2000, but it is a little more feature goaded.
Office 2003: Face lift in visual style, different versions have appeared. Office 2003 has also improved, in most versions, their security by asking users to activate their copy. Another way to discourage pirates.
File formats have changed from previous versions to this versions. 99%* of users saves their documents under a .doc extension. Office 2007 saves the document as .docx, which dramatically reduces the size of a file (Typical file is 23KB. The .docx is 9KB)
Another thing typical in Office Word 2007 is that the word count is located on the bottom-left corner. It is more easier to find how many words you have while doing an essay than to actually go to Tools>Word Count
The Menus are tabbed, which is much more organized than previous versions.
CHANGES IN FILE EXTNTIONS (WILL BE UPDATED)
Program | OFFICE 6.0/95/97/2000/XP/2003 || OFFICE 2007
Word .DOC .DOCX
Powerpoint** .PPT .PPTX

THE CONS AT THIS STAGE
At the moment, I, lhuser, has found only 1 common con.
During school work, PCs equipped with Office 2003 and earlier will have incompabilities opening with .docx. Although, users into this situations HAVE a save as .doc for compability. This, I only found one bad conversion (87 pages of squares), but the diskette was faulty.

OVERALL:

Ease of use………………………………..4.25/5
Stability………………………………….………5/5
Visuality……………………………………4.75/5
Recommended using as secondary: User defined
Reccommended using as primary (To replace Office 2003 and arelier: Yes***.
Also Powered by the 4 additional juicers. FlashRev: Bring you news for real! ©

*99% is represented by people using ONLY Office 2003 and earlier
** PowerPoint also has .ppt and .pps for easier backward compability.
*** You MUST have a PC powerful enough to run Office 2007. For more info, see www.microsoft.com/office.aspx

I would install it but betas are notorious for having lots of bugs. According to Ihuser's review the beta looks stable, and offers some improvements over the previous version, so go for it!

Back
Top Bottom