OEM OS's

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
Let's say that I build a computer, and install an OEM copy of XP on it. Then I need to re-format and re-install. Can I still use that copy of XP? It I add hardware, can I still use that copy of XP?

i think... the policy is that.. ok if you need to reformat.. it's alright to reuse it.. but if you get like an entirely new motherboard and all that jazz, no, you can't use it again. but a simple reformat, yeah go for it.

Yeah as long as you don't use a totally different system. If you want to upgrade, you can always install the os and then upgrade minor hardware like RAM.

You are allowed to reuse your own copy over 30 times...regardless the hardware changes. Also, it is always possible to use your copy when you add hardware...it will install automatically drivers for him on the spot...no need to reformat.

If one or two of you wondered what's the difference with OEM than Retail, OEM is just the CD, CD-Key and book. Retail is the big box with some other ads in it...nothing big.

I don't forseen any problems as long as its one cd key per PC. ANd 30 times? Um IDK about you but thats keeping the same OS for 15 years if you reformat every 6 months. Which I only reformat about once a year.

Nik00117 said:
I don't forseen any problems as long as its one cd key per PC. ANd 30 times? Um IDK about you but thats keeping the same OS for 15 years if you reformat every 6 months. Which I only reformat about once a year.

I have yet to reformat- I don't haver any space to back up. (way I am up-grading)

Ihuser said:
You are allowed to reuse your own copy over 30 times...regardless the hardware changes. Also, it is always possible to use your copy when you add hardware...it will install automatically drivers for him on the spot...no need to reformat.

If one or two of you wondered what's the difference with OEM than Retail, OEM is just the CD, CD-Key and book. Retail is the big box with some other ads in it...nothing big.

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

It sucks, you buy a piece of software, and people are in doubt whether or not to use it again.

i didn't know you could re use it 30 times.. that's insane.. but hopefully i'll have vista before i use it for the 30th time.

That's a theory I've heard. You use 30 times, it's good...31st it's bad. If it was me, I'd be careful if I need to reformat.

Back
Top Bottom