need help choosing a processor

sdogg45

Beta member
ok so here's the deal. im the type of person that does a ton of research before i buy anything that is over $50. i have been looking over processors since im looking to invest in a new desktop system. ive been reading up on dual core, single core, 64 bit, etc. and i dont know what direction to go in. im still in school and im majoring in engineering so theres a chance that i might use a few peices of engineering software if i cant make it to the lab. i also plan to play a couple of games here and there, but nothing really big. i have been pretty faithful to intel when i would build computers for friends, but i've been seriously considering the amd athlon 3200+ socket 939 processor ($135 @ newegg). to make matters worse, i know that intel's new line of chips are coming out soon but i dont think id be able to afford them. so here's the deal; im looking for a chip suitable for my needs and in my price range, prefferably around $150, but no more than $200. is there a chip(s) that i should really look at? :confused:

thanks

Well do you have all the parts already, and just need a processor to get the computer running, or are you starting from scratch? Because it looks like your just socket 939. For that id go with that 3200+. Good processor. Although... You could possibly go with an AM2. Id suggest this one. It would suit you just fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16819104317,N82E16819103637,N82E16819103633

Although out of those three, I would suggest the last one. But beause this is a budget thing, I would suggest this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103637

oh sorry, i forgot to say; im starting completely from scratch. AM2 is the newest thing from amd, right? what about dual core? i keep reading that dual core only has a noticeable difference over single core with programs that support multiple thread processes. oh and one more thing; i dont plan to overclock either.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core 512K Per Core 90nm (Socket AM2) (Retail Box-w-Fan) (ETA 6/30)

i like this one better because is has 1mb per vore

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Dual-Core 1MB Per Core 90nm (Socket AM2) (Retail Box-w-Fan) (ETA 6/30)

I would stick with a single core processor. Some people have been having trouble with the dual cores.

Some people have had to do a lot of fixes to keep both cores in sync. If they don't stay in sync then they end up being slower than a single core. So I would wait until the technology is perfected. I do have an issue of Maximum PC around here somewhere explaining the issue.

You wont have a problem with any Dual Core you get. No one here has complained, Ever

I'm glad to hear that... I won a the 90 computers in 90 days sweepstakes on tigerdirect.com and I've been a little nervous about the machine not working well.

i want the am2 dual core. so i think im going to wait until august after the prices drop.

Back
Top Bottom