Power?

G9

Daemon Poster
Hey...

1. Full usage of the Adobe Web Bundle (Macromedia's Dreamweaver/Flash and Adobe's Photoshop/ImageReady, mostly)
2. Music Production (Fruity Loops)
3. I may go into video production soon

I was thinking of going two paths. Next year, when Merom and Vista are released, I was thinking of getting Alienware's Sentia m3200 (12.1" ultraportable model) and seeing if it could handle everything smoothly (not just an experiment, I actually need something portable...). Do you think it can, or should I just go for the Aurora m7700?

In conclusion... will I be satsified with the Sentia's performance in the above 3 fields? Or should I just go with the 7700?

Even the system that I have are fully capable of what you intend to do. How much are these Alienware systems going for?

Yeah, fruity loops doesn't need THAT much CPU power. Its mainly RAM it needs if your loading many audio samples.

Though, i did a splice loop the other day on a 3 minute sample, and my memory ran out (1GB), haha.

You may need a good CPU though if your using loads of instruments that use the CPU for full processing, though most of these are very low CPU intensive.

Dreamweaver doesn't need that much of a CPU, neither does Flash (though more than some), Photoshop (Memory intensive with large images), Image ready (I'm sure that'd be fine).

Video production with full rendering suites adn editing is where your going to need the CPU power, and the RAM/hard drive so this is the only time that your using anything, where the power would really be used.

From the models listed above, I'm not sure on how fast they are just from the name.

I'd need a big screen though to do most of the video editing stuff, so 12.1 inches (if thats the screen size) may not be big enough for what you intend to do.

TRDCorolla said:
Even the system that I have are fully capable of what you intend to do. How much are these Alienware systems going for?
Which system are you referring to? The Sentia is not bad, cheaper than Dell's 12", in fact... at $1500 for most powerful system, minus the extras. The 7700 is a different story, running at around $5K.

Kage said:
Yeah, fruity loops doesn't need THAT much CPU power. Its mainly RAM it needs if your loading many audio samples.

Though, i did a splice loop the other day on a 3 minute sample, and my memory ran out (1GB), haha.

You may need a good CPU though if your using loads of instruments that use the CPU for full processing, though most of these are very low CPU intensive.

Dreamweaver doesn't need that much of a CPU, neither does Flash (though more than some), Photoshop (Memory intensive with large images), Image ready (I'm sure that'd be fine).

Video production with full rendering suites adn editing is where your going to need the CPU power, and the RAM/hard drive so this is the only time that your using anything, where the power would really be used.

From the models listed above, I'm not sure on how fast they are just from the name.

I'd need a big screen though to do most of the video editing stuff, so 12.1 inches (if thats the screen size) may not be big enough for what you intend to do.
Thanks for the feedback... much appreciated.

I'm beginning to question why powerful rigs are needed... gaming and 3D workstations is really the only time when you need that much, power, eh?

I was referring to the system that's in my signature. $1500 is a nice price for a nice system, but I am unfamiliar with the specs. If you plan on installing VIsta Ulitmate, you need 2GB if you plan on running all those programs and Vista.

Aye, and my computer is a 3D workstation :p

A laptop in my opinion needs to be quiet, have good memory/CPU, and preferably a good video card (Though for what your going to be using it for, not alot of rendering is required from this part), and a good sound card (couldnt do without music)

I just prefer full rigs though. I don't know why. Its just the fact you can update easily, etc.

I would like a laptop to be able to haul around though, but alot of newer powerful models out there, like Alienwares, are seriously heavy.

Kage said:
Aye, and my computer is a 3D workstation :p

A laptop in my opinion needs to be quiet, have good memory/CPU, and preferably a good video card (Though for what your going to be using it for, not alot of rendering is required from this part), and a good sound card (couldnt do without music)

I just prefer full rigs though. I don't know why. Its just the fact you can update easily, etc.

I would like a laptop to be able to haul around though, but alot of newer powerful models out there, like Alienwares, are seriously heavy.
1. Quiet: Check
2. Good Memory/CPU: Check
3. Video Card: It's onboard :(

Yeah, full rigs are nice for upgrades, but I like the idea of having all my work on the go.

Yeah, but if you get the backpacks... it'll kill. You would be basically dragging around your desktop wherever you went.

TRDCorolla said:
I was referring to the system that's in my signature. $1500 is a nice price for a nice system, but I am unfamiliar with the specs. If you plan on installing VIsta Ulitmate, you need 2GB if you plan on running all those programs and Vista.
The Athlon or the Turion? It's 1GB RAM, 100GB 7200 RPM HDD, 8X DVD burner, Pentium M 2.0ghz (I'm waiting for them to make the switch to the second Core Duo series). I've seen other 12.1" laptops, like the Toshiba Portege tablet PC, run on the most powerful core duo as well as 2GB. I'm waiting for AW to have that in as well.

It would have to be the Athlon system. The Turion version is weak to run what you have. I would suggest the Core 2 Duo too. It's a great CPU. You should do ok with those specs.

It doesn't matter if its on board for what your doing though really (Plus its a laptop, its mostly on board anyway :p). As long as the CPU/Memory/Hard drive is good, your all good to go.

What video chip does it state it has?

Nvidia/ATI? Or more, unknown ones?

Back
Top Bottom