VGA and Power Supply Problems

Nimandir

Baseband Member
Okay, I'm posting this for my Bro who's having this problem. He recently purchased a new Video Card for his computer. He plugged it in and got the drivers installed. Everything was working good for a while. Then, the monitor would kick off, like it would do when he shuts his computer down. He couldn't even get it to boot up to the desktop anymore. I looked at the powersupply and flipped a red switch to change it from 115v to 235v. He turned the computer on again and was able to get to the desktop. After a few minutes, it started all over again. I looked at it myself and I see the disk drives turning on and off. Everything seems to turn on and off over an over again.

Here are some specs that I got from him:

MB: Intel D845wn
VGA: nVIDIA GeFORCE 6600 (256MB/DDR) AGP
Power Supply: Enlight Corporation - Model# HPC-300-101

(On a side note, I tried to post this a minute ago and got an SQL error. Not knowing if this topic was posted, I tried again and got a message saying it already existed. I looked, but I didn't see it.)

First of all ... switch the red switch back to 115v before you burn everything up!

Odds are you probably need to do some tweaking on the refresh rate of your monitor with the new video card. Do you have the most current nvidia drivers for the card installed? Check nvidia.com for latest version. If you installed from cd, the drivers are probably already outdated. Do you have the most current driver for your monitor installed? These are things I'd consider before blowing up my pc by switching it to 235v.

Also, try booting into safemode and see if the problem persists. You can uninstall the video drivers while in safemode and install the latest drivers after a restart.

*update*

Okay, I already set the red switch back where it was a long time ago. He told me he was able to get to the desktop when it was at 115v, so I decided to look at other options. I removed the card from the Device Manager and uninstalled everything related to nVidia on his computer. I went to "Add/Remove Programs" and tried to remove "nVidia Display Drivers", but got an error say that "Nuvdisp", I believe, performed an illegal operation and would not let me uninstall it.

I reinstalled the card, installed the latest drivers for it, and everything booted up normally. It was running smoothly on 800x600 resolution with 16bit color. I thought I was done, but I wasn't. He changed the resolution to 1024x768 with 32bit color and it started all over again. We then looked at the drivers for the monitor and saw two plug-in play monitors listed. One would not update it's drivers and the other didn't. We removed the one that wouldn't and everything started working again. I set the refresh rate for the card to "Optimal"

I set the resolution to 1024x768 with 32bit color and restarted the computer. It booted with the 800x600 with 16bit color again. I just hope it doesn't mess up again. I don't know what's more annoying, the card or my bro's "I give up" attitude. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom