dell ctrl-F11

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrecked 'em

Beta member
I have a dell dimensions 8400 and had one simple question. If i do the control f11 while restarting to do the restore to factory settings will it wipe everything off my computer? Lets just say if the police were to search my computer is there no way for them to retrieve my old files, history...? Please explain in easy terminology.

It might wipe every but only if you choose i tink.... i'm not too sure but the best way to destroy data is to write over it a ton of times or destroy your drive loL!

But seriously.... it can always be recovered by some professional.

wrecked 'em said:
I have a dell dimensions 8400 and had one simple question. If i do the control f11 while restarting to do the restore to factory settings will it wipe everything off my computer? Lets just say if the police were to search my computer is there no way for them to retrieve my old files, history...? Please explain in easy terminology.

I think someone has been doing something they shouldnt of..

Its possible they could, yes. A simple format like the "Restore To Factory Settings" wouldn't use any goverment type wipe, and so is certainly possible to bring back.

When a hard drive formats as stanadard, all that is removed is the conents of whats listed on the drive, not the contents of the drive itself.

This way, the drive, when it needs the space, since it has no recollection of data being there, can go over what was there originally.

So until the drive is completly wrote to again, theres always a chance of it being there.

Since we could hit a major law inforcement issue here, I'm not going to (and I hope no one else does) give you tips on how to delete it permanently.

Just leave the case panel open, and when they come, just take it and smack it on the wall a couple time, and then dose it in water... :D There is always some way to get the information back, if the cops really came to my house for a computer purpose, I would still destroy the hard drive, I wouldnt take the chance of them recovering the info. I would kick the case open, smack the hard drive all over the place, magnets, water, the whole 9yards..

I alwasy thought that once you format you pc all your files are del and your not able to retrieve any old files

There are some tools out there... that write like 9 times over it.. but it takes a LONG time cause i tried it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom