Please help (some memory dump error mssg)

FamousAmiZ

In Runtime
hey guys, when ever i like go idle for like a min or maybe sometimes housrs... when ever i get bacl my pcs at a bluescreen saying somethign about memory dump? whatsup? somtimes it shows when im tyring ot exit quake 4 also, instaed of exiting it gos to that blue screen? please help

Looks like a common memory issue, when a RAM module is damaged.

How many RAM modules do you have, and of how many?

If you have more than 1, I'd turn off the PC, take one out, and then if that doesn't do it, swap them over and try again, until you find the culprit.

As soon as you've done that, I'm afraid you'd have to replace the other, since its pretty much no good :(

I hope this helps.

Hmm, if it occurs when your exiting a program such as quake that would use all the memory anyway, the chances are it might not be the memory as it would more likely crash at any point when that 'faulty' bit of memory gets used. I'm guessing it's more a driver problem.

Any chance next time you get a blue screen of death you can note down what module or any file names that it may mention. We can then take a guess at whats busy when it crashes.

In the meantime, to rule out memory as the problem (as I'm not saying it definately isn't that) try a memory tester. Theres plenty out there, but heres a link to Memtest86.

[EDIT]

Just thought of something else too. Give me your full system specs, specifically your motherboard version and BIOS version. Try and lower your Memory Bus Speed, as in the case of using 4 x1GB Dimms, almost all motherboards won't allow you to run them at there top rated speed in this setup.

You could try that, and take out each module one at a time. Leave 1GB in first. If that works, take it out and place the second in.

You'll soon find the culprit...

Kage said:
You could try that, and take out each module one at a time. Leave 1GB in first. If that works, take it out and place the second in.

You'll soon find the culprit...

And if it's not the memory? oh, BTW, memory scanners do there job perfectly in almost all situations . You said otherwise on another post.

Back
Top Bottom