Reducing fan noise?

DirtBikeRidr

In Runtime
Right now I have 5 fans in side my case, all by aspire. Is there some kind of pad that would reduce the noise?

If you know a product please list a link.

• Plz dont tell me to buy water cooling
  • Plz dont tell me to take out fans

Thx in advance.

I've never done this myself, but from what I have read and seen cork board works really good. Just line the inside of your case with cork board and that will decrease the amount of noise by a decent amount. Also it should be pretty cheap since cork board isn't that expensive.

Very true, it will most likely increase the case temp, but a good air flow should take care of that. However, I dont know if I would personally go to all of that trouble. As you probably know a big part of the noise that you hear from the fans is vibrations. Yes fans themselves will cause some noise but not all of it necessarly. You could always try and put rubber washers inbetween the fan screws and the case which would absorb some of the vibrations. Also, if your case has fan controls on it you could always turn down the fans while you are not doing much on your computer. That will always decrease the sound some. I guess your best bet would be just to make sure everything in the case is extremely tight and secure. Or you could always get better fans that are more quiet.

You can alway reduce the voltage going to the fans by making a fan regulator. That's what I did. I drilled some holes to accommodate three extra 12cm fans on the side of my computer panel. To my horror, after installing the three fans, I found out that my computer now makes as much noise as a vacuum cleaner if not more, so I soldered a knob and a variable resistor onto a circuit board and placed it between the power source and the fans. I made the wires long enough so I could stick the turning knob to the front of my case. Now I can rev up my fans when things get hot or quieten them down. The parts are not very expensive either. Works like a dream.

Just if you are interested, the three 12cm fans on the side of my case bought the temperature down 12 degrees idle and 6 degrees under load. Not bad for 4 hours of work!!!! :D And the parts are no more than $AU20 to boot!!! ;) :cool:

Fan bearings are the source of noise. Now, I won't tell you to start oiling them, because it might not work but perhaps giving them an inch of seperation between the can and the fan iitself.

Back
Top Bottom