need info

Logan1

In Runtime
ok i have a few questions that may seem dumb but please bare with me.

1. Can you mix hdd types (SATA 3.0 Gb/s, SATA 150, EIDE, Ultra-ATA, etc)? if no why not? if yes will there be any performance issues is, say you combined a IDE with a SATA 3.0?

2. Is a CPU still damaged by OCing even if you keep the temps low? if a standard CPU will last 5 years how laong will a max OCed CPU last? how about if it only is OCed, say, 200Mhz?

3. Is it true that the worst water cooling setup is equal or better than the best air cooling rig?

i think thats all for now but i may add more later. thanks.

1. yes you can mix hdd but personaly I wouldent recomend it

2.as long as you dont oc it to hard should last about the same

3. no

1/. yes you can if your m/board supports all interface types you wish to use.

2/. Different cpu's wear in different ways, there is no hard and fast time frame though obviously a poorly cooled oc'ed cpu is going to last a shorter time than a stock one

3/. debatable, it all depends on the temperatures that are achieved

(I'm not BAREing anything with you :p)

EDIT:
King of Kings said:
1. yes you can mix hdd but personaly I wouldent recomend it .....
I have to ask why you say this?? Operating system on a SATAII hdd and storage on Ultra DMA5 ide disks is quite common

ok i understand the first two but i have a question about the water cooling. would $100 water cooling system cool better than my setup, i have a 80mm fan infront of the hdds as intake and a 80mm exhaust in the standard place in the back? i have stock cooling for opteron 165 and 7900GT.

Mate thats a hard question to answer, it depends on a lot of factors, heat dissapation from your radiator, your radiator cooling etc, there are a lot of top air cooling solutions out there, Zalmans are my favourite (I can be a tad fan boyish about that :D) My suggestion would be to nail down a liquid cooling product you are interested in and search the web for reviews that give comparisons against air cooling. The other way, if money is no object, is to try it and see.

lol well the thing is i want some better cooling to take my OC a little higher. i'm either going with a cheap water cooling setup (looking at the Thermaltake Big Water($110), AOC Evercool WC-202($90), or maybe, with enough money, the Corsair COOL system($160)........all of these have gotten decent reviews (4-5/5 and 8-10/10) and are good for newbies like me) or a Scythe Ninja HSF($50).

the AOC system looks nice and i'll prolly end up risking the extra $40 or so. thanks for the responses.

hahahahahhahahahaha thats really funny cause the scythe ninja was what i was originally going to get but i wanted to look into water cooling first. i'll end up building a custom WC setup for about $250 later (prolly piece by piece.) i've had many people tell me they cool to about 10 degrees lower than WC kits. '86 Chevette heatercore here i come.

Back
Top Bottom