vga silencer + 9800pro

I'm pretty sure the standard fan doesn't spin that fast anyway. 1200RPM should be fine.

Anyway, even if the cards original fan span faster than that, it'd be less effective than the silencers fan.

Yeah, thats only on the XT, but it shouldn't matter, honestly.

If your that worried, keep it at the higher setting. I'm sure its not much louder anyway.
Or when playing a game, shove it up, and when not, keep it down.

Both moves should be tested to work fine. If it runs on silent, it'll run hotter, but it won't fry.

it couldnt hurt to take it off and replace the thermal paste with artic silver 5 though, its pretty hard to "fry" a graphics card since the comp will either turn off before or u will see signs of it happening and can prevent it (artifacts)

Right, you'll see artifacts before it starts to overheat... And with an older card, honestly, I wouldn't be all that concerned about it frying. Because, then, that would give you a reason to get another, better one! :D

But I understand where you're coming from. You should have no problems running it on "silent mode"... You may want to just check how hot the air is coming out of the fan. If it is just lukewarm, you'll be in good shape!

another thing i should add is that those silencers arent all that great, zalman coolers are quite a bit better since i have both...

VGA Silencers aren't that great. I like the NV Silencers better, but I just like the whole Silencer series because they vent the hot air OUT, a concept that most still don't use. Zalman coolers are pretty good too. I'm going with the NV Silencer 5 Rev. 2, although I would rather get the Zalman VF900-Cu, I found the NV Silencer 5 for $15, which is a bargain considering it's performance.

Back
Top Bottom