Blu-Ray

Paradox1

Fully Optimized
Blu-Ray Released

Anyone Hear? Blu-Ray Disc Drives for PCs have already been released in japan, Going to be released in America, Europe, and Australia in the next few months.

Prices are expected to be 200-300 USD for drives

I heard about that a few months ago, but that wasn't confirmed yet. I knew they would have Blu-Ray drives for PCs. It would be a big breakthrough.

blueray4ny.png

I for one am excited about Blue-Ray. I just hope prices get cheaper, like they did with DVD.

I honestly do not want HD-DVD to suceed

I'd rather have HD-DVD succeed. It's Cheaper, based on DVD technology (therefore backwards compatable with DVD), the only thing Blu-ray has going for it is size.

Plus blu-ray is made by Sony.

Beta-max? Mini-disc? UMD?

It's destined to fail.

Lac3y said:
I'd rather have HD-DVD succeed. It's Cheaper, based on DVD technology (therefore backwards compatable with DVD), the only thing Blu-ray has going for it is size.

It's destined to fail.

Lol, funny. I wouldn't say they're destined to fail. Somebody is buying those things otherwise they wouldn't make them. Blu-ray is going to be way expensive. It's gonna be easier moving the HD-DVD format than Blu-ray so I'm putting my money on the HD-DVD.

Lac3y said:

It's destined to fail.

Blu-Ray is not made by sony. Blu-Ray Is co-founded by Apple Computer, Dell, Hewlett Packard, Hitachi, LG Electronics, Mitsubishi Electric, Panasonic, Matsushita Electric), Pioneer Corporation, Royal Philips Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Sharp, orporation, Sony Corporation, TDK Corporation, Thomson, Twentieth Century Fox, Walt Disney Pictures, and Warner Home Video Inc.

Compared to HD-DVD's Founders; Intel, Microsoft, NEC, Sanyo, and Toshiba.

Blu-Ray Has far more experienced businesses in Optical Media Than HD-DVD.

Not To Mention, Blu-Rays Seek times now rival HD-DVD, and Is slowly surpassing it. This means, you can store more data, and seek it faster than you would less data on an HD-DVD

Plus, We have HD-DVD/DVD/CD Drives, Why would you assume that Blu-Ray Drives would not be reverse compatible just the same?

EDIT:
Or do you mean reverse compatible stand-alone Readers? Because Sure, Blu-Ray Will not be playable in Todays DVD Players. But then only a few HD-DVD's will be readable on the ones we have today. And it's just like the VHS-DVD conversion. We will buy BRD Players just like we all bought DVD players.

PerfectSK said:
Lol, funny. I wouldn't say they're destined to fail. Somebody is buying those things otherwise they wouldn't make them. Blu-ray is going to be way expensive. It's gonna be easier moving the HD-DVD format than Blu-ray so I'm putting my money on the HD-DVD.

How So? Blu-Ray Discs are rapidly decreasing in cost, compared to only a slow decline in HD-DVD. Progress is commensing far more in BRD than HD-DVD

EDIT2: Crap, Now no one is going to read my post because its so long :(

I read it :p

I agree with you. It seems like the better technology.

I would have been in it more as well if the discs still had protective casings like Mini-Disk, but I've heard now, they've sorted out the protection so have ditched the packaging. I guess it would have increased cost though.

I believe its better in the long run though, as the costs will fall as more production starts.

In the long run, its got more life than HD-DVD has. So we won't need another technology for a while.

Whats the point going for technology thats going to run out again? And then will be replaced with Blu-ray, etc, when we could have it now?

Plus, the drives must be capable of playing DVD, etc too, because the disk drive in the PS3 will play Blu-Ray, DVD, and compact disc.

It's hard to tell now, but it'll be a niche product once it initally releases. Both formats have their pros and cons. Oh and, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are jointly released formats meaning no one company made it themselves.

Blu-Ray has great storage space, but it's expensive, disc and drive. Panasonic just released their second desktop Blu-Ray drive maybe a month ago and it cost $900. Expect PS3 games and movies to get a 10%-20% increase in price due it it's different (and expensive) manufacturing process. Paradox, Blu-Ray isn't backwards compatible with ANY current format because it doesn't share any similarities and is made completely different than DVD's or CD's. As for reading discs of different formats, that won't be hard, but you just won't see any Blu-Ray/DVD/CD hybrid discs.

HD-DVD's may have smaller storage space, but it's initial costs will be cheaper. This is due to it's manfacturing process which is very similar to the DVD, allowing it to be mass produced very quickly. One advantage HD-DVD holds is it's similarity with DVD, which allows hybrid HD-DVD/DVD discs to be made. That would be good because you could watch a certain movie in current DVD format, but once HD-DVD drives drop in price you can just flip the disc over and view the same movie, but High-Definition. :D

As for which format will fail, it's way too early to tell. All I know is that Blu-Ray's biggest backer (Sony), hasn't had the greatest track record with media storage formats. Remember the battle between Betamax and VHS? Betamax was big, and unweildy, which prompted people to buy VHS instead due to it's size and attractive price. It was cheaper because it's mechanism wasn't as complex as Betamax's, which meant production was easily done in mass quantities. Let's see...the MiniDisc? The MiniDisc hasn't had the greatest sales ever. :p Initally released as a replacement for analog Cassette tapes, it didn't sell as well in the US and Europe, probably because the Cassette was too entrenched at the time. MiniDiscs are still around, but not widely used, partly because of popularity of CD's, and Flash-based and HDD-based MP3 players. Not as big of a failure as Betamax was, but it was still a failure. Hmmm, then there is the UMD! Haha, oh man, I remember when the PSP first launched, Sony hyped up the UMD to be the next biggest in movie storage and content, now it's lost several movie studios that used to support it, like Warner Bros. Recently, sales for the UMD have dropped slowly in movies. In games, I wouldn't expect it to drop much because to play games it uses UMD anyways. It's so funny though, too see Sony hype up the UMD format so much only to see it slowly fade away. :p

That's why I personally don't like Sony. All they do is hype and when that product finally comes out, they drop the bomb and give you shit instead. Oh and they need to improve in the creativity and originality department too. Either way, only time will tell which next-generation media format will win.

Back
Top Bottom