First Build....Am2??

Xiggy

Daemon Poster
ok guys since this is my first build and i still havent ordered ne thing yet should i be shooting for am2....it should be faster right????

also the only sli mobo's are nforce500??? is nforce500 new...so here would be my two options

amd 3200+ socket 939
eVGA nforce4 sli mobo
eVGA 7900co
ocz 1gb ddr500...(later another to make 2gb dual channel :D)
creative labs soundblaster
hitachi deskstar 80gb SATA3gb/s
antec truepower 550watts sli support
antec solution slk3000

$800...or this

amd 3200+ socket am2
MSI K9N Platiunum amd2 nforce500sli
eVGA 7900co
ocz 1gb ddr2 800 (will this be a lot faster???)...also later another
creative labs soundblaster
hitachi deskstar 80gb SATA3gb/s
antec truepower 550watts sli support
antec solution slk3000

$850...so really not that much more...what do u think...or does am2 not really matter??

Honsetly and truly I wouldn't get a AM2 system as of yet... Mainly due to the fact that it really isn't going make much of a difference and I personally have no experience with the AM2 socket, i'd suggest going with the 939 and just sticking to normal DDR ram, unless your doing heavy ass computing you don't need DDR2

ok i was jw...because in the future i wouldnt have to worry about buyin a new mobo or ne thing :D...but i guess ill stay with 939 :D

Xiggy said:
ok i was jw...because in the future i wouldnt have to worry about buyin a new mobo or ne thing :D...but i guess ill stay with 939 :D
i agree. go am2. thats just my opinion.

and its hard to say that 'u wont get much of a performance gain' because we dont know what u have right now. and as u have stated, am2 will kinda future proof u.

Yeh if you get an AM2 mobo you can always get better components when they come out instead of having to upgrade the 939 mobo as well.

I would get the Socket AM2 system simply because it's new. It won't get a noticeable performance boost, but the fact that Socket AM2 is on pace with current and future technology utilizing DDR2, makes me want to get it even more. It's only $50 more so go for it. I don't know it's OCing capabilities, but it should prove interesting.

I was just looking on Newegg for their AM2 selections. I have to tell you that I am not impressed at all by it's specs.

TRDCorolla said:
I was just looking on Newegg for their AM2 selections. I have to tell you that I am not impressed at all by it's specs.
thats because right now, they're just socket939's with different memory controllers. i bet in the future, they will make processors that will actually utilize the memory capabilities.

Apparently the AM2 processors have a much better overclocking potential than their Socket 939 counterparts. But, your best bet is to wait (like Lhuser) so that they release higher-quality components and get all the bugs worked out before you spend gobs of money on a still buggy system (I don't know that it is all that buggy, but all new technology things have problems). The products out right now are just the guinea pigs of the bunch, really.

yeh i was mostly thinking of the "future proffing" idea like badninja said...but i may be buying this in a few months so should i see thenm?!?!? thx

Back
Top Bottom